Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Edita said:
I just got the heater few days ago, but as he is in my room it is quite warm anyway

Edita: Your room is "quite warm" for you because your body temperature is 98.6 degrees. Your tortoise's body temp is only as warm as the environment he is in. If your room is 75 degrees, that is NOT warm enough for the tortoise. YOU have to be 98.6 degrees to be able to digest your food. He has to be at least 80 degrees to be able to digest his food. He needs a heater. Room temperature is not good enough.

Yvonne

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hm...

he has a heater, come on. I am not stupid, and quite warm means 27C and his setup is next to room heater. I know how tortoises function, I am not 8 years old

so, to say it again, he has his own heater! and he got lots of fresh greens from my garden so we are trying to keep the alive in his setup :) but the way he is going we will not have to do it for long

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Edita said:
hm...

he has a heater, come on. I am not stupid, and quite warm means 27C and his setup is next to room heater. I know how tortoises function, I am not 8 years old

Sorry, Edita: I really didn't mean to imply that you were stupid. We don't know anything about the person we're emailing advice to, so have to "generalize" it. Again...I apologise.

Yvonne

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
:)

I am going crazy, so please I need help. I was reading a lot about sicknesses in tortoises and I see that kreso is not really healthy but he is like in the middle of nowhere.
he is eating ( a lot, like few times per day green stuff, he gets like a bit of tomato and I started giving him vitamins today cause it is 3 weeks since he got the shoot) his digestion is great, like regular and stuff. he is drinking water and bathing once per day at least. he is sunbathing and he is spending most of the time on the part with a heater. on completely the opposite side of his setup it is 27C and right above the heater it is 29 (heater is covered with alu folium and ground on top of it). he is focusing really good and I didn't see him catching "air" when he wants to eat for some time now. but... he is sneezing a bit and his eyes are a bit blurry part of the day. and also his skin is pealing and I know that is a sign of lack of proteins. he got a bit of egg today. unfortunately if you don't give me the latin name of those plants that are rich in protein I can't find them cause in english they are not familiar.
all in all I would say he is having some respiratory infection but I don't know what more I can do :( window is closed most of the time so he is not in the wind. I think he has everything but I don't know if I should relax and give him time... or what. I wish I could do something. I heard that if he starts to make sounds that is a sign of pneumonia but he is quite and I am so happy cause of that.

I should say that I am really out of my mind cause it has been 3 weeks since I understood he is sick and now we are going downhill again and his conditions are only better. he gained weight and.... well I will not repeat myself.
so what should I look for like a sign? is there something more I could do??

thank you!

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hello!

after my talk with the vet kreso seems to be doing fine. his eyes are great. nose is also ok and he didn't sneeze not once :) but I know now why do tortoises sneeze so if yours sneeze and it is not sick it is ok :)

thanks everybody

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Edita, I'm so glad you put that post on there yesterday because I was really fearing the worst for Kreso after your last message.

Thats great Kreso is feeling well.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thats Great that Kreso is doing well. Keep up the good work. And hopefully worry less, now that you know. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.