Kinixys belliana

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
I saw two kinixis belliana for sale male for 150 and the female for 250 is it a good price ? I really want to work with this species but I also want to work with 3 toe box turtles such a hard decision lol!!!!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It won't be belliana at that price, it will most likely be nogueyi, which were formerly a subspecies of belliana, but many still refer to them as a subspecies of belliana. Even so, in the US, I'd say that's a good deal.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Thank you ! If I get them I'll send you some pics , I'm still debating between hingebacks and box turtles lol

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It won't be belliana at that price, it will most likely be nogueyi, which were formerly a subspecies of belliana, but many still refer to them as a subspecies of belliana. Even so, in the US, I'd say that's a good deal.
Yeah in the US Nogyuei babies are 200-350 adults 500-1500
True Belliana Belliana which haven't been imported in since the 70s-80s in mass are very tough to find. Most Kinixys came from territory where Nogyeui is dominant so very little Belliana Belliana are in the states.

I paid 1800 for my male and have had no luck finding a female. Most people have no idea of the differences between the toe and just call them all bells.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Wooow so they are super rare in the states ! I wonder why they are so cheap , the place I saw them is a family own pet shop and only had two of them they were about 4 to 5 inches in length, if I go back to get one I'll definitely take some pics and send them to you guys thank you so much for the info !

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Yeah in the US Nogyuei babies are 200-350 adults 500-1500
True Belliana Belliana which haven't been imported in since the 70s-80s in mass are very tough to find. Most Kinixys came from territory where Nogyeui is dominant so very little Belliana Belliana are in the states.

I paid 1800 for my male and have had no luck finding a female. Most people have no idea of the differences between the toe and just call them all bells.
Wow! That's a lot for belliana belliana. There are a few adults in Europe still, go for about 500 euros per animal. I only know of one completely 'pure' breeder of them in the EU-I haven't looked for others, but just from what I've seen-, which is someone in Italy, Mattio I think, but he also has zombensis, Madagascans, Speke's etc. Some of his guys are fantastic looking animals.
I can't believe those prices for nogueyi, guess that's what happens when imports stop before there is enough of them for breeding programs. CB yearlings here are available at as little as £60, as little as 50 euros in Germany. Adults are about £80-120 here. When I first started looking into kinixys as a genus about a year and a half ago, hatchlings were selling for about £300, but the techniques have finally been solved, and we now have 2 mass breeders of them supplying pet shops.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Wooow so they are super rare in the states ! I wonder why they are so cheap , the place I saw them is a family own pet shop and only had two of them they were about 4 to 5 inches in length, if I go back to get one I'll definitely take some pics and send them to you guys thank you so much for the info !
Yeah more than likely they're Nogyeui but that's really cheap. If you don't get them I would be interested for sure. I've been looking for some more to add to our small group. I'd of course give you a finders fee too :)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Thank you ! If I get them I'll send you some pics , I'm still debating between hingebacks and box turtles lol
Go for the hinges! The care and incubation is now well-known in the EU, but there are so few of them in the States that you guys haven't been able to breed them in mass yet, so you'd make your money back pretty quickly once they get 'interested.'

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Wow! That's a lot for belliana belliana. There are a few adults in Europe still, go for about 500 euros per animal. I only know of one completely 'pure' breeder of them in the EU-I haven't looked for others, but just from what I've seen-, which is someone in Italy, Mattio I think, but he also has zombensis, Madagascans, Speke's etc. Some of his guys are fantastic looking animals.
I can't believe those prices for nogueyi, guess that's what happens when imports stop before there is enough of them for breeding programs. CB yearlings here are available at as little as £60, as little as 50 euros in Germany. Adults are about £80-120 here. When I first started looking into kinixys as a genus about a year and a half ago, hatchlings were selling for about £300, but the techniques have finally been solved, and we now have 2 mass breeders of them supplying pet shops.
Yep pretty crazy. I just got 2 more new bloodlines of Nogyuei and paid 300 shipped per animal. Domergyuei I know of one man in Germany that breeds them. They are 10k euro a piece. Very very rare. With Madagascar shut down back in 2001 everyone wanted Pyxis but few sent out Domergyuei. Not to mention they are only found on nosy be. Most of the wild population has been relocated to Antaravio national park. There range is very very limited like yniphora. Super awesome Hingeback though. They get pretty big.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Yep, Nosybe is another place I'd like to go sometime.
Should get two chances to see some new species though over the coming year, once in Greece, and then in Kenya volunteering, where hopefully I might see some of these belliana in the wild.
Btw, sorry for hijacking the thread. Hingebacks are just too interesting!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
You guys just are good at convincing people lol I'm going there on Saturday and I might get both , I have Krav Maga class today and I have to work tomorrow I really hope they don't sell them I'm so stup!! for not asking before ! Ahhhh

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You guys just are good at convincing people lol I'm going there on Saturday and I might get both , I have Krav Maga class today and I have to work tomorrow I really hope they don't sell them I'm so stup!! for not asking before ! Ahhhh
Yeah should definitely go for it. There super easy to care for. Just like little tiny leopards really, that eat mushrooms and worms.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Thanks tortadise you are going to be the first person to know if I get them ! :D