keeping different med torts together

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
I have 2 Testudo graeca graeca tortoises and have been offered a Testudo graeca ibera. After the incubation period would it be ok to keep them together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm such a purist that I asked an experienced tortoise person to tell me which sub species of Russian tortoises I have so that I could separate the sub species.

So, my answer is no, it's not ok.

As to the health issue, there's nothing wrong with it. And if you're not worried about diluting the gene pool with intergrade babies, then I suppose there's nothing wrong with that either.

Would I do it? No. I don't believe in mixing species of any kind of tortoise.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
No, as ibera and graeca have slightly different requirements, and different behaviour which could lead to damage while mating. Plus, pure lines is important.
BTW, what do you mean by incubation period? Incubation is of eggs, do you mean quarantine period?

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
FLINTUS said:
No, as ibera and graeca have slightly different requirements, and different behaviour which could lead to damage while mating. Plus, pure lines is important.
BTW, what do you mean by incubation period? Incubation is of eggs, do you mean quarantine period?

yes quarantine i meant.
I'm not going to bother then,don't really want to start breeding then as i know i'd have to keep them all and end up with with hundreds lol,but i do want to hatch 1 of my own so was going to ask a breeder if he would sell me an egg lol.