keeping a growth log of tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I have been keeping a growth log of my torts since i started keeping them about 8 years ago, does anyone else do this? my family just did our "weigh ins" today and were surprised at which torts were growing the fastest... i need to put this info in a graph form and try to post it.....
[/size]:D

Attachments

• 102_0402.JPG
    102_0402.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 37

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I take a picture and weigh the tortoises once a year. I have an EXCEL spread sheet that I printed out and I fill in the spaces in pencil. Easier for me that way than keeping it in the computer. Then I staple the new picture each year to the back of the form and file it in my filing cabinet. Keeping a more-or-less current picture of your tortoise, including any identifying marks, helps you get him back in case your tortoise is lost and someone finds it. Its also a good idea to have a family member be in the picture too.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I weighed and measured my tort weekly when he was a hatchling, and now at two years old I do it monthly. I think its very important to do this as a slow down in growth or weight loss can be signs of health problems. I have a kitchen scale and digital calipers and write the info on paper and later graph it. I also bring the growth chart into his vet's office when he gets his yearly check ups and fecal tests. Good tips, Yvonne! Proof of ownership can easily be done with a photo like you describe. Now that my tort is older and I'm not obsessive with photos, taking yearly birthday photos is something fun and easy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm doing this for the first time with my new hatchlings. They hatched in May and I've got a weekly weight chart for them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I measure SCL (straight-line carapace length) in centimeters, and weight in grams. There are other things you can measure, but these are the things that are the most useful to us. I also photo top, bottom, side, and head.

I try to measure little guys every month, 1-7 years every couple months, and older every quarter- but I am bad at keeping the schedule.

Some things I do that may help others:

- My Excel spreadsheet goes by age in months, rather than the date. This way, I can look across a row and see all of the sizes at the same month- who is bigger, who is lagging? If I have to guess the birth month, I can do so by matching to other records.

- I have a column that automatically figures the formula for dehydration for me. Makes it easier to see how they are doing.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I just started weighing my RF and I plan on graphing the data in grams on excel. I will be weighing him once a month and taking a picture of him once a month next to a dollar bill. The scale I got was from ebay and it was only $6 including shipping. It has an 11 lb max though but it iswell worth the money.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I do it monthly, have since all of mine arrived :)

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
i weigh Shelby weekly at the moment and record it on a chart were i also record what as been feed each day so i am not repeating the same foods to often and can get an idea on what foods seem to increase weight faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.