just wondering about a burrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakkina_Fluture

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So my tort has never had an outside enclosure that she could dig in because of her being sick and having a large dog in the backyard. I was wondering if I make a good set up for her will she be able to make her own burrow or will I need to start it for her to get her to get the idea. Also would I need to loosen any dirt so that it is easier for her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: just wondering

Some burrowing tortoises dig burrows and some don't. If I'm going to allow my tortoise to have a burrow (I usually don't because of our weather), then I start the burrow in a part of the habitat where I know it won't flood and where it is in the shade.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I built one. I don't want them digging where they shouldnt. I picked a high point, dug down, lined it with a paving stone on the bottom and sides, placed a board across the top, piled the dirt on top, and then put some dirt back inside the 'burrow'. the entrance faces the morning sun... in winter he stays in it as long as we dont get a huge amount of rain.. and I cover that with a 1/2 dog house and stuff it with newspaper for some insulation and darkness.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
My tortoise tried and tried to dig a burrow but our ground was as hard as a rock. We finally penetrated the earth for him and he was able to dig just fine. We did it too late, though. He only dug 2 feet at the time he wanted to hibernate so we had to take him out and keep him safe inside a shed.

I don't have a cover for his entrance, would it be a good idea to put something there? Like a dog house of sorts?

Status
Not open for further replies.