Just thinking...

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Future questions! If I get a turtle pond going. Could I leave the turtles out there in the winter? Would they just hibernate and wake up by themselves when they are ready? Would I have to put them in the frige like tortoises or could I leave it in the pond and everything would go okay? Or should I just heat the pond. Or....take them inside in the winter?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Future questions! If I get a turtle pond going. Could I leave the turtles out there in the winter? Would they just hibernate and wake up by themselves when they are ready? Would I have to put them in the frige like tortoises or could I leave it in the pond and everything would go okay? Or should I just heat the pond. Or....take them inside in the winter?
@mark1
@Markw84

The two Marks will have the answer for you. Both are very knowledgeable and experienced with temperate species of pond turtles.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

How large of a pond? Replicate nature & the turtles will properly hibernate (if needed). Do ponds freeze over in Winter in your area?

What kind of turtles are you thinking about.?

All of these guys (below) take care of themselves.D5ADF2AC-B703-4FB6-8DD8-10D1CA8BD1B2.jpeg

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
How large of a pond? Replicate nature & the turtles will properly hibernate (if needed). Do ponds freeze over in Winter in your area?

What kind of turtles are you thinking about.?

All of these guys (below) take care of themselves.View attachment 343513
Whatever turtle that will do okay. And No ponds dont freeze over down here. Well It really depends on size. If its really small then yes. Medium - it will freeze around the edges. Large - No.

Do I want them to freeze over?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what your winters are like in Arkansas, but here in Central California, where we get freezing nights and overcast days during winter my turtles do fine in the pond all winter - red ear sliders, western painted, Florida softshells, Phrynops hillari and western pond turtles. My pond is about 25'x15' or so and just a big hole dug into the ground.

pond 7-11-13 a.jpg

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I don't know what your winters are like in Arkansas, but here in Central California, where we get freezing nights and overcast days during winter my turtles do fine in the pond all winter - red ear sliders, western painted, Florida softshells, Phrynops hillari and western pond turtles. My pond is about 25'x15' or so and just a big hole dug into the ground.

View attachment 343521
Would they do fine in 0 degrees?

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
OH also I got a fresh spring water creek and since its spring water its really cold all year long. But it doesn't freeze. Would they do okay if a take a spot of the creek for their home? Or would they die from the constant cold?

View attachment 343521

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
as long as the turtle doesn't become frozen they do fine ...... many kinds can actually be partially frozen for short periods of time ...... if you keep the water from freezing without keeping it to warm , 32-50 should work , 32-40 is better , long periods of 50-60 water would require more energy to survive for a long period ...... just moving the water with a pump will most likely prevent the water from becoming frozen to the point where it will harm the turtles , submersible pumps will give off some heat , keep the snow out the pond with a cover , snow will start it freezing quickly ....... air temps are not that critical to water hibernating turtle , other than air temps do effect water temps .....