I've got Good news & Bad ... Meet Koopa

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
I’m assuming that this is “The Flash” not a prolapse….
No need for full page, if you want to click it’s on you.
So Koopa is now Doc “Officially”. Yesterday was quite interesting behavior on His part. All our tort pens are double fenced, so in the absence of a pen ready for Doc he just roams the 60'x60' area that is single fenced. We will be building his pen in the next week or two, so he is a little more secure. Every morning is tort soaks and feeds, he does not do well in a 40 gallon tub wants out constantly. So he has been going straight to the outdoor pen in the mornings but overnight is in the tort house nice and warm. Well it's been a flury of him moving constantly (only stopping for short periods) eating the whole time. He has had literally a "Field Day" in the pen since no other torts there to est it. This made me feel that .... He must be starving, hence the constant eating. But yesterday when I set him down he didn't move for an hour, then just a short walk to a spot for sunning. He sat there for hours just enjoying the rays, no furious anything in his demeanor. I only saw him do 1 lap all day and it was like a tourist taking a leisurely stroll with no care at all, "Wow how beautiful the scenery is ..."
I at first worried (for about 2 hours) that something was wrong, no .. no ... no ... not again. Then it hit me "Was he walking so fast and for so many days because he felt constipated, full, backed up and just plain terrible." I remembered when @Yvonne G told me about Jo Jo's hyper activity and how generally it was not good, so maybe for a week he was just stressed, figuring out the boundaries type of a deal. The only thing that I can point to that that's not it is this ... His poop. He now can pass stool soooooo much easier, he would "grunt" sometimes when pooping and it worried me quite a bit. I am very aware of animals who are severely constipated having "Prolapse" risks. His feces now is the consistency of Peanut Butter with some small bits of solid materials left (very minimal). He is SUCH a good pooper too, at night he is in a very large tub and tries not to poop in it (I think). Because every morning for more than a week as soon as I bring him out "It's pooping time." Within 20 minutes of being out of the night house and in the "Daytime" place he'll poop 4-5 times. It's almost as if he's potty trained, like he is intelligent enough to understand, "I don't want to be covered in poop all night."
So kinda long explanation but I really would like to know what you guys think? Was it just figuring out he was safe that slowed him down, Was it figuring out the boundaries, Was it really fear that moved him to be so "In a Hurry" or was it as simple as finally his gut felt better? .........
And almost forgot ... 16 lbs. is what he weighs.
I think that tortoise might be a "repressed" male due to its previous situation. Now that you have it, the male characteristics may start to become more evident.

But still, I could be wrong. Only time will tell for sure.

I would like to thank @zovick for the responses about sexing. I think that he is no longer a "Repressed" male but more of an "Expressed" male.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

zovick

10 Year Member!
I’m assuming that this is “The Flash” not a prolapse….
No need for full page, if you want to click it’s on you.
So Koopa is now Doc “Officially”. Yesterday was quite interesting behavior on His part. All our tort pens are double fenced, so in the absence of a pen ready for Doc he just roams the 60'x60' area that is single fenced. We will be building his pen in the next week or two, so he is a little more secure. Every morning is tort soaks and feeds, he does not do well in a 40 gallon tub wants out constantly. So he has been going straight to the outdoor pen in the mornings but overnight is in the tort house nice and warm. Well it's been a flury of him moving constantly (only stopping for short periods) eating the whole time. He has had literally a "Field Day" in the pen since no other torts there to est it. This made me feel that .... He must be starving, hence the constant eating. But yesterday when I set him down he didn't move for an hour, then just a short walk to a spot for sunning. He sat there for hours just enjoying the rays, no furious anything in his demeanor. I only saw him do 1 lap all day and it was like a tourist taking a leisurely stroll with no care at all, "Wow how beautiful the scenery is ..."
I at first worried (for about 2 hours) that something was wrong, no .. no ... no ... not again. Then it hit me "Was he walking so fast and for so many days because he felt constipated, full, backed up and just plain terrible." I remembered when @Yvonne G told me about Jo Jo's hyper activity and how generally it was not good, so maybe for a week he was just stressed, figuring out the boundaries type of a deal. The only thing that I can point to that that's not it is this ... His poop. He now can pass stool soooooo much easier, he would "grunt" sometimes when pooping and it worried me quite a bit. I am very aware of animals who are severely constipated having "Prolapse" risks. His feces now is the consistency of Peanut Butter with some small bits of solid materials left (very minimal). He is SUCH a good pooper too, at night he is in a very large tub and tries not to poop in it (I think). Because every morning for more than a week as soon as I bring him out "It's pooping time." Within 20 minutes of being out of the night house and in the "Daytime" place he'll poop 4-5 times. It's almost as if he's potty trained, like he is intelligent enough to understand, "I don't want to be covered in poop all night."
So kinda long explanation but I really would like to know what you guys think? Was it just figuring out he was safe that slowed him down, Was it figuring out the boundaries, Was it really fear that moved him to be so "In a Hurry" or was it as simple as finally his gut felt better? .........
And almost forgot ... 16 lbs. is what he weighs.

I would like to thank @zovick for the responses about sexing. I think that he is no longer a "Repressed" male but more of an "Expressed" male.
Well, that didn't take long after he felt safe. Glad I was able to be of help (and also glad to be correct in my gut feeling that he was indeed a male).

I'm sure he'll be happy and healthy in your care now. Best of luck with him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He was exhibiting normal behaviour the first few days. A lot of tortoises taken from not ideal situations and plunked down in a lush area will rush around, eating as much as they can, because they don't know how long they will have this access. Once it becomes routine they settle down to a slower pace.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
He was exhibiting normal behaviour the first few days. A lot of tortoises taken from not ideal situations and plunked down in a lush area will rush around, eating as much as they can, because they don't know how long they will have this access. Once it becomes routine they settle down to a slower pace.
Sounds right .... like a normal behavior from an animal that has not had stability. I'll tell ya following him around for a couple days and being "Hands On" for certain situations with him has made an emotional connection/feeling in me so much faster than simply caring for and providing a home to. The day he walked across the pen to come up to me was an incredible feeling. To look into his eye and truly know the fear was gone, that he was feeling emotions maybe never felt was so cool. The name Doc is because he came from a Doctor who breed tortoises. It will forever be part of his story.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Boy this guy is such a pleasure, he seems to enjoy us and we are certainly loving him. Wish he would understand that we get it, your a boy but other than that it's just been fun. Yesterday I found this ...IMG_0387.jpegIMG_0389.jpeg
He must have felt it being hot from the sun and figured it would be a great sleeping spot ... Cozy. He has been very sociable with the family and getting more and more comfortable with all of us. It seems everyday our lives are filled with more and more Love. To look into the eye of a creature that has been neglected and give only comfort and security is so rewarding. If only torts could talk ...

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
To look into the eye of a creature that has been neglected and give only comfort and security is so rewarding.

I know many people mock rescuers as being bleeding hearts and soft and whatnot, but I find this exact statement to be what its about. People love their pets no matter what the source, but there is an additional layer of joy that comes from taking something that lived in a bad situation and giving it a good life.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Boy this guy is such a pleasure, he seems to enjoy us and we are certainly loving him. Wish he would understand that we get it, your a boy but other than that it's just been fun. Yesterday I found this ...View attachment 366879View attachment 366880
He must have felt it being hot from the sun and figured it would be a great sleeping spot ... Cozy. He has been very sociable with the family and getting more and more comfortable with all of us. It seems everyday our lives are filled with more and more Love. To look into the eye of a creature that has been neglected and give only comfort and security is so rewarding. If only torts could talk ...
All of that stuff growing around you feet is good tortoise food. The one with little purple flowers is fillaree, tasty and healthy.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
All of that stuff growing around you feet is good tortoise food. The one with little purple flowers is fillaree, tasty and healthy.
No joke we have 10 acres that look just like that picture, exactly the same. The torts get to roam, rest and eat whenever and whatever they would like. Thank you for giving me the name. Doc has been gorging on those little purple flowers, we also have actual grass (uncut). Living in the Desert has left me with no mower or string trimmer, going to have to get one soon. Our plan is to water almost everything, not just for torts but for all our animals. It may just be me but Doc seems to recognize that we're not a threat, that we are ....helpful. To spot him across the yard look into his eyes and then ... the run towards me. He loves to smell our faces, look at us with those eyes and basically inspect us.
If Tortoise could just talk ...

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Shame about the first one but great your giving Koopa a great new home, diet and life. You can get a brush to rub against the feet to get rid if some dirt and gently rub it over the shell. You can also rub coconut oil on the shell to help moisturise and assist new growth. Have fun with your new shelled warrior.

ryan57

PA
To me that tortoise looks really large for 16lbs. Hydration, food and exercise. Experts?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
To me that tortoise looks really large for 16lbs. Hydration, food and exercise. Experts?
So right now I'm using an old Bathroom scale, within a pound or 2 at 180 lbs (my weight). I do have a digital scale for the others but it max's out at 13 lbs. Put him on it ... ERR was the reading. so He is over 13 lbs at a minimum.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
So right now I'm using an old Bathroom scale, within a pound or 2 at 180 lbs (my weight). I do have a digital scale for the others but it max's out at 13 lbs. Put him on it ... ERR was the reading. so He is over 13 lbs at a minimum.
Tip if you place a large pot on the scales and zero, , put the tort on that so legs dangling makes weighing easy . Do with care to avoid a topple.