I've got eggs! Woooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

travisgn

5 Year Member
My russian, Calypso, laid her eggs today! Just two. They are safely inside the incubator. Now for another long wait.

Sorry, I know everybody loves pictures, but I think you all know what an egg looks like. :p

Am I correct in my understanding that she could still lay additional clutches this season? Does mating have to occur for that to happen or will she just produce more?

Travis

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Congratulations :)

Yes she probably will lay additional clutches

Danny

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
congratz, I will keep my fingers crossed

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
What sort of population is she part of?
I dream of eggs, however need to wait a year or two to let my small girl catch up to my male, so I can have a 1.2 group.

travisgn

5 Year Member
Just a pair. I bought them together. They are now split up due to over aggression. I hope to get another female or two for next season, though.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Awesome! We must have pictures when the babies hatch. :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your female can definitely produce 1 or 2 more clutches of eggs this season without being bred again. Typically clutches will be produced anywhere from 21-45 days after the previous one. If you haven't already check out www.russiantortoise.org for more information on Russian tortoises, breeding, nesting and incubation.

travisgn

5 Year Member
I do have that website bookmarked and I refer to it from time to time, but it isn't comprehensive.

There was still some info I couldn't seem to find anywhere, such as time between clutches and whether the female would need to mate again, etc. So thanks very much for the info!

I also found a great difference of opinion in how to set up the incubator. I did basically everything russiantortoise.org suggested, though it didn't say anything about humidity levels. I've read everything from keep the humidity between 70-80%, to keep it much lower at 55-60%, to just put a dish of water in there and don't worry about it. It seems that a higher humidity is an inevitability for me, anyway. I started with a large bowl of water, swapped it for a smaller bowl when the humidity climbed quite high (just over 80%), eventually took the bowl out completely to try to bring it down some (which it didn't), then got worried about not having water in there so I put the small bowl back in. Then there is always the possibility that my hygrometer just isn't that accurate. I bought a combo digital therm/hygro specifically for this, and it seems to measure about the same as my analog combo...

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll sign off for now.

Travis

85hardy

5 Year Member
Very coo. I hope to see pics of the hatchlings in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.