Is this safe??

scubaMO

ImageUploadedByTortForum1398190813.389847.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1398190852.822565.jpg
The bedding gets stuck in their legs and neck and sometimes face...I'm nervous for their eyes and stuff. The bedding said it could mix it with an organic fertilizer...should I?

M

Maggie Cummings

I would not put fertilizer in with any tortoise. I think that is kind of a crappy substrate, I use fine grade Orchid bark and keep it moist and it adds the needed humidity and doesn't get all over the food or the tort. You do not want to keep a Sulcata 'dry'...

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
I use it, many other members do too. Your tort doesn't mind the mess, and it's safe if ingested. It also hold moisture well. Substrate is really personal preference on what you want to use...some use coir, topsoil, mulch/bark...or some combination! Up to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That substrate is good. Pack it down with your hand, keep it warm and damp, and give it a couple of weeks to "settle". That is what we call coco coir and it is my favorite substrate for some species and ages. The fine grade orchid bark that Maggie mentioned is my favorite substrate for other species and ages.

What species and age are you housing in there?

And why would you want to mix in fertilizer? Are you going to try to grow live plants in there?

scubaMO

That substrate is good. Pack it down with your hand, keep it warm and damp, and give it a couple of weeks to "settle". That is what we call coco coir and it is my favorite substrate for some species and ages. The fine grade orchid bark that Maggie mentioned is my favorite substrate for other species and ages.

What species and age are you housing in there?

And why would you want to mix in fertilizer? Are you going to try to grow live plants in there?

I have two baby sulcatas just a couple months old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you I have seen a couple of them before. How do I close the top of an open habitat?

I have never been happy with the results of trying to close the top of an open topped enclosure. The results have never been good for me and difficult compromises must be made. I strongly suggest buying or building a proper closed chamber. It makes maintaining perfect temps and humidity really easy and it tremendously reduces your electricity usage. It is worth it to just start over. Here is a thread for you on it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

If this is not an option for you send a message to TeamGomberg. She has found a method that worked for her and she did a thread on it a while back.

Since you need another enclosure so you can separate your pair, maybe one could go in the new chamber and the other could stay where it is with Heather's method.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have had success with closing open habitats. With a glass terrarium as you have, I used to cover the entire screen top in heavy duty foil (I tape it down on the edges). I just cut out holes for the lights. It kept it quite warm and humid doing that. In fact, the sides would fog up. So it can be done. It doesn't look as nice as a custom built closed chamber, but it works!

scubaMO

I have had success with closing open habitats. With a glass terrarium as you have, I used to cover the entire screen top in heavy duty foil (I tape it down on the edges). I just cut out holes for the lights. It kept it quite warm and humid doing that. In fact, the sides would fog up. So it can be done. It doesn't look as nice as a custom built closed chamber, but it works!
Thank you!! I'm gonna try this

Courtney Cavender

I use a mixture of topsoil and shredded coconut fibers which works well for my Hermann tortoise, yes he does get it stuck in any place imaginable but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. I personally don't like and chips of any kind because they don't suck up anything and are hard to clean.... And don't use sand because they can eat it which ruins their guts...