is this safe

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
I have recently moved to Florida and I'm trying to identify weeds that are safe. One weed in my yard is called penny wart, I've attached a photo. I've read that navel wart is safe, and when I search it on plant net or the tortoise table , it also identified as pennywart. I would like to be sure it's safe, can anyone from Florida help with this plant ID. View attachment 354487

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
For some reason I can't view your picture. But welcome 🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes now I can. Maybe that'll get some experts replying. But from what I've seen by googleing it's edible for people as a medicinal herb. It's an antibiotic plant to be used but possibly sparingly. I don't know about tortoises.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I just answered this question for someone last week (? I think). It's Hydrocotyle umbellata and it's fine in moderation. My Russian has a hard time eating the cultivated stuff when it's cut and sold (it's sold here as a food plant) as the stems are too short and stringy for her to get a good grip on. But I think she'd be willing to graze on it.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
thank you. my plant ID says penny wart? I'll search that other name too. I may take it to the reptile shop lol.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, it is often called pennywort. You can take it to your nursery if you want to confirm it but that's what it is. It's so common in the South you can google it and you will mostly get hits that say "how to get rid of dollar weed in lawns."

There are plenty of plants called pennywort or similar that look like each other but are in different plant families. Navel wort is one such plant but again, this isn't that. Even if it was, navel wort is safe to eat.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Yes, it is often called pennywort. You can take it to your nursery if you want to confirm it but that's what it is. It's so common in the South you can google it and you will mostly get hits that say "how to get rid of dollar weed in lawns."

There are plenty of plants called pennywort or similar that look like each other but are in different plant families. Navel wort is one such plant but again, this isn't that. Even if it was, navel wort is safe to eat.
thank you! every one here doed calls it dollar weed, I'll be happy to see if he eats it! Thank you again

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
thank you! every one here doed calls it dollar weed, I'll be happy to see if he eats it! Thank you again
If what I have is penny wort in my yard it's nice to know that it's safe. My Russian never even nibbles it and isn't interested though. Still it's nice for walking around on and in if you are a tortoise. Kind of like a soft carpet.🤗

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
If what I have is penny wort in my yard it's nice to know that it's safe. My Russian never even nibbles it and isn't interested though. Still it's nice for walking around on and in if you are a tortoise. Kind of like a soft carpet.🤗
I have sheldon a couple small pieces and he ate them. I love being able to add plants to his variety of foods

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
There are so many different pennyworts! I don't think any of them are unsafe but I wouldn't assume yours is Florida dollarweed. Maybe navel wort where you are, which is in the stonecrop family. My Russian wouldn't care for it either but I know some do.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
There are so many different pennyworts! I don't think any of them are unsafe but I wouldn't assume yours is Florida dollarweed. Maybe navel wort where you are, which is in the stonecrop family. My Russian wouldn't care for it either but I know some do.
I gave sheldon a couple small pieces and he ate them ... he is picky when it comes to other stuff tho

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
That's what I read too. I've never worried about it because it's soft to hide and walk on. He's a bit picky even with the weeds he'll eat. He sniffs everything before he'll eat it.🙂