IS this normal

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So i posted this video earlier onto the the russian tortoise owners facebook page. They all gave the resounding answer that she was going to be laying an egg soon or that she is going through her hormonal changes to an adult. Let me know what you guys think either way its a cute video.

http://vid377.photobucket.com/albums/oo212/Christian_Narber/5_2016-10-29_14-33-42_zpslvd4alc8.mp4

That sure looks like a tort rubbing/humping the warm soil..are you certain that is a female?

fajita

southern indiana
She did it more than just in her sun bathing spot she did it seems real other places in her enclosure I don't have my hopes up but I neglected to include that into the post

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
She is not digging in the video. I have never seen any of mine do that. I am paranoid about impactation and egg bound, so I would get an xray to make sure that is not the case.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm not sure what to make of it, she doesn't look uncomfortable like she's trying to scrape something off her rear or out of her vent. Maybe she's just packing down a spot to sit?
If you're really concerned, x-ray her. Otherwise I'd inspect her backside for slivers, sores, irritation, etc and maybe give her a soak and see what comes of it.

SoCal
I have never seen my russians do this, sometimes, like people, tortoise are just weird. My friend has a Mojave that wiggles his hind end kind of like that when pet on his shell. To me, this looks like a smart tortoise, it looks like it's scratching an itch. If your tortoise hasn't been with a male, then it probably isn't an egg, but then again I'm not entirely certain. I don't think you should be alarmed, but if you need to end the "What if?" that might be lingering in your mind, then get her xrayed.