Is this growth good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hera (couldn't change his name to Zeus, I kept calling him Hera lol) anyways when I first got him in January he was 10" long and 7lbs. Today I weighed him (August 9) and he weighed 9.4lbs. Is a 2.4lb gain in 7 months good or am I not doing something right?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It varies...but since we don't know your particulars...enclosure, diet, temps, humidity...it's difficult to either praise or critique! But, as long as he's gaining...that's something!;)

So, respond with all you're doing/providing...and a couple pictures wouldn't hurt, either;)

HollyH8

5 Year Member
Arizona
Well he's in an enclosure outside made of cinder blocks and has about 250sq ft to roam around in. He has access to water and goes in it daily. The temperature is whatever it is outside, lately around a high of 115 and a low of 80. We have a dry heat so really no humidity unless he has any in his burrow which is in a big dog house (I don't have anything to check this). Now I know what your going to say about his diet but I just can't get my parents to let me grow grass yet but hopefully soon. He eats mostly romaine lettuce, I try fixing him hay but he won't touch it.

image-114003978.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your photos didn't work. Yes the diet is bad. You really need to at least add as much different stuff that's on the edible list as possible. Buy seeds and plant it in boxes to feed him if your parents won't let you do it in the yard. Check out Carolina pet supply for seeds. Order Mazuri tortoise diet and some spineless optunia cactus pads. Get spring mix and other greens. There is so much you can do then just romaine.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
At 10" SCL, that sounds like where he should be in terms of weight, he was probably a bit on the lean side when you got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.