Is there such thing is too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Tx
I have a 1 month old tort and he's only about 2 inches in length. My enclosure I'm keeping him in is 6 ft by 3 ft and I am hoisin the basking area 98F and the area with the uvb bulb on different ends. I'm just afraid he won't find his way to the basking area

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
WamBamCam said:
I have a 1 month old tort and he's only about 2 inches in length. My enclosure I'm keeping him in is 6 ft by 3 ft and I am hoisin the basking area 98F and the area with the uvb bulb on different ends. I'm just afraid he won't find his way to the basking area

Oh he will.... My Cherry Head ALWAYS wakes up when I turn his lights on then he eats his fresh greens then starts walking around. Tortoises LOVE to walk/explore.... So yes he will find his way over there :)

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Yeah that is true. I I guess I have to take in account I did just receive him via thru the mail today, so he's prolly still getting used to things

mikeh

5 Year Member
It may take him few days to find his way around the new home. He will be fine.:)

sent from mobile device using TFO app

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
WamBamCam said:
Yeah that is true. I I guess I have to take in account I did just receive him via thru the mail today, so he's prolly still getting used to things

Oh yeah you just got him today then he is just trying to get used to the home. Once he does he ill be walking around all over the place. I just received my other Cherry Head in the mail this morning too... So she is still working her way around. I just made an enclosure BUT it isn't ready just yet so she is in a 40 gallon tank till the weekend. Then she will have a 4 feet by 2 feet enclosure to roam around it and not to worry about anything else :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
To answer your title question, IMO No there isn't.

As long as the large space has correct temperatures and micro climates you will have one happy tort in a big space :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes with the itty bitty babies, a very large habitat is hard to warm and keep humid. You might consider blocking off a shorter corner of it just for a year or so until he grows up a bit more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I start my brand new hatchlings in a 4x8' closed chamber. They have no problem finding the food, water or basking spots.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Blocking a corner seems like the best option. I'll just move the lighting all the one side.
Thanks for all the input.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
WamBamCam said:
Blocking a corner seems like the best option. I'll just move the lighting all the one side.
Thanks for all the input.

You could probably leave it the way it is but if you want you could always block it off too... I am making a 4 feet by 2 feet enclosure and I'm not going to block off a part of mine. They will find their way around. :)

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
I decided not to block it off and just add another heat lamp on the right side
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377196461.139834.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would suggest finding a more secure way to mount the lamp. Those clamps always fail and can lead to a catastrophic disaster.

Also, the coir is a lot less messy if you hand pack it down.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
The clamps will defiantly just be a temporary solution until I can find or build a hanging mount. The clamps are holding tight, but I'll reinforce them with duct tape to be on the safe side.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
WamBamCam said:
I decided not to block it off and just add another heat lamp on the right side

There ya good. I agree with Tom that you should find a better way to secure the lamp. Maybe a way to screw it there.... Just so it doesn't fall on the little guy. but other then that looks good :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
WamBamCam said:
The clamps will defiantly just be a temporary solution until I can find or build a hanging mount. The clamps are holding tight, but I'll reinforce them with duct tape to be on the safe side.

We all give lots of advice on stuff here on the forum, but everyone should understand, this is literally a matter of life and death. Houses burn down from this all the time. I had a few near misses early in my reptile keeping career.

Not trying to beat you up WamBam. I know you get it. Just emphasizing the point for anyone else reading this.

WamBamCam

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Tx
Beat me up as much as you want. I'm a new tortoise owner and knew I wasn't going to get everything 100% correct. This is why I'm here on the forums, to learn everything I possible can.

Status
Not open for further replies.