Is Tank ok?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey, so Tank will not go to sleep he has been walking around bumping into things all night the temps are perfect. Then he kept rubbing his but against his hide. But just now he almost looked like he was gagging he stretched his neck out opened his mouth wide and two drops or liquid came out of his mouth and he let out what sounded like a loud sneeze for his size. When he closed his mouth he had a lot of bubbles around his mouth. What just happened? His mouth and eyes are very watery. He is just sitting there now.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
sounds like a respiratory infection. you need to get him to a vet asap.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
From one sneeze? He doesn't sneeze all the time.
He still eats so much more then normal he is still gaining weight and still very active.
From what I've read RI is the complete opposite. Anyone else think is could be RI.

abclements

5 Year Member
It sounds like he's overheating. Foaming at the mouth is a huge indicator of that. What are your 4 temps? And what are you measuring them with?

If that's not the problem, he might have ingested something poisonous... which would induce vomiting maybe...

Just some ideas...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
abclements said:
It sounds like he's overheating. Foaming at the mouth is a huge indicator of that. What are your 4 temps? And what are you measuring them with?

If that's not the problem, he might have ingested something poisonous... which would induce vomiting maybe...

Just some ideas...

These were my exact thoughts too. Soak him in Luke warm water. Check the temps again with something else. Be sure if the temps are high, 80+ it's also with the higher humidity. If the humidity is not 80+ then the there needs to be a cooler end, around 75. The 80 all over temps with a basking is for the 80 plus humdity.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
The temps are 98 bask middle 82 and cold end 72. The middle spot did not have the heat lamp on so was in the 75-76. I gave him a soak he is very active today eating a ton. And walking around and the usual naps. And when he sneezed he was in the cold end. I think it might have been a freak thing because the bubbles were only when he sneezed and went away 30 sec later. The sneeze was just loud and a few drops of water fell out when he opened his mouth.

I am going to change out the substrate I was using the peat moss dirt but I want to use cypress.
I think I may also turn off the middle lamp and only use it for night use. I will also turn off the side heat mat and just use the under tank heater for his night hide. Sound ok.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
The humidity varies throughout the tank. Very dry on the cool side and I have a fogger running all day on te hot side. 85-90 percent. That te best I could do I think if I can't the substrate it will help that out. Yes tank is two and Half just about.