Is my sulcata going mad?

jenmadere

5 Year Member
I've always wondered what my sulcata does while I am asleep, and tonight while I was up doing some online shopping I found out. She starts off at one corner of her enclosure and continues to make laps through her hay in the shape of an L. Then when she hits her big hideout log, she turns around and goes the other way. Her enclosure is a mess right now, here are some pictures. Anyone know what this means? It baffles my brain. I wish I could attach the 48 second video I took of her doing this. View attachment 62947

Last edited by a moderator:

jenmadere

5 Year Member
I've always wondered what my sulcata does while I am asleep, and tonight while I was up doing some online shopping I found out. She starts off at one corner of her enclosure and continues to make laps through her hay in the shape of an L. Then when she hits her big hideout log, she turns around and goes the other way. Her enclosure is a mess right now, here are some pictures. Anyone know what this means? It baffles my brain. I wish I could attach the 48 second video I took of her doing this.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385622281.255676.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

erica anne

5 Year Member
How big is the tank and how big is your tort? He may simply need more space. Do you take him out for exercise during the day?

Also, sometimes when there is clear glass they obsess about what is outside of their tank. Often times people with cover the sides with some type of paper...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Well, I don't see any pics, but, it would seem that there's something not right in the enclosure. Don't know if it's temps, lighting, humidity or lack of. Is there anything you changed in her enclosure recently?

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Probably because the substrate is not right, it needs something like coco coir or cypress mulch so it holds a high humidity and can dig into. The water dish is wrong, use a Tera cotta saucer it's like $2 so it doesn't drown. I can't really see much in the pic tho :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would help if the tortoise was outside in a bigger enclosure, but this is pretty much normal behaviour for sulcata tortoises (Russians too). They pace.

My Dudley - 110lbs male sulcata, has worn a path alongside his fence from pacing. Some days he's happy just to go out there and graze and sit in the sun, and other days he just goes back and forth along the fence:

11-28-13Dudleystwotrack_zpsaaa33c4c.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep my 30 lbs sulcata does the same thing .

Yep my 30 lbs sulcata does the same thing .

Attachments

• 1385670994883.jpg
    1385670994883.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 86

edwardbo

5 Year Member
tom ,your a saint...all the information here a they show a bare bottemed tank. Yvonne, looks like you have a nice piece of property.