is my Horsefield bullying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryclancy

5 Year Member
Hi, im new to the tortois world!! we recently got 2 horsefields, about a year old, 1 is slightly bigger than the other. We've had them almost 2 week both have been fine eating and exploring. we had them checked out by the vet just to make sure all was well. today and yesterday we have noticed the bigger one has been pecking at the little ones legs??? and the little one appears scared running away. its only today not much has been eaten but otherwise they have both had a good appitite. the bigger one since we've had them has been more active!!Is this normal should i be worried??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoise can be pretty aggressive towards other tortoises. My best suggestion would be for you to set them up outside in a fairly LARGE habitat. The smaller, more meek tortoise needs a place to be able to get out of the larger tortoise's sight. Its pretty hard to do that indoors without setting up a separate habitat.

The larger tortoise might be trying to breed, but my GUESS is its just bullying. "This is MY territory! Get out!!!"

Oh...and..

WELCOME to the forum!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I'd separate them. These things usually get progressively worse, not better.

harryclancy

5 Year Member
thanks so much for your help!! seperating it will be then, should i seperate them straight away??

Rachael

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum Rachael,
Do you have another enclosure ready to separate them, if yes, I would separate them right away :)

harryclancy

5 Year Member
Hi again, I've separated them both now did it straight away and everything seems to be running smooth so thanks again for you help xx

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am so glad they are doing better :) I am sure they are both going to be happier separated.

Status
Not open for further replies.