Is my enclosure right for my tort?

Rylatts

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Those "tortoise houses" were a pretty nice invention - FOR BABY TORTOISES, but they're not big enough for an adult. I would change a few things - get rid of the straw and use a substrate similar to orchid bark or coco coir, or even clean dirt from your backyard.
Replace the waterer with a flower pot saucer.
Move the hiding place over next to the wall. It will give you an inch or more room.
Measure the light from the bottom of the bulb to the floor of the habitat. It looks like it might be a little close. I think they're supposed to be about 12".
But my best advice is to try to build him a safe, escape-proof outdoor habitat. You'll be surprised how well he does when moved outside.

I don't keep grown tortoises indoors, but this is a picture of one of my baby indoor habitats:

View attachment 184111 View attachment 184112

o_O those plants look very interesting, what do you have planted in there as i'm looking for new things to add to my enclosure :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
o_O those plants look very interesting, what do you have planted in there as i'm looking for new things to add to my enclosure :)

Jade, mother-inlaw's-tongue, paddle plant. I just pick something from my collection that's in a small pot.