Is my baby sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
I just walked in to my reptile room, to find my redfoot upside down in her water bowl! She was struggling, and as I ran over, she suddenly stopped, leaving her whole head and neck under water! I immediately grabbed her and set her upright, and she seemed ok, except for a little wheezing that went away when she dried out. She had defecated everywhere in her water bowl, and it had totally fallen apart, leaving only floating bits of lettuce. I immediately replaced her water bowl, which had a steep ramp, for a shallower one, and have been checking on her every half hour or so.

She's been having pretty loose stools lately, and hanging out on the hot side a lot. My gradient is from about 75-92 degrees, but she only wants to be on the hot side, right under the light. I skipped the fruit yesterday because she seemed a little off, but she ate her escarole, collard greens and dandelion stems like a piggy like usual. Should I feed her today, or give her a day off? I called the vet and we're going in for a checkup on Monday because of the diarrhea, but I'm gonna be freaking out until then.

I keep mostly snakes, and am not used to animal that can drown themselves by flipping over. Should I be worried about this?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Tempest said:
I just walked in to my reptile room, to find my redfoot upside down in her water bowl! She was struggling, and as I ran over, she suddenly stopped, leaving her whole head and neck under water! I immediately grabbed her and set her upright, and she seemed ok, except for a little wheezing that went away when she dried out. She had defecated everywhere in her water bowl, and it had totally fallen apart, leaving only floating bits of lettuce. I immediately replaced her water bowl, which had a steep ramp, for a shallower one, and have been checking on her every half hour or so.

She's been having pretty loose stools lately, and hanging out on the hot side a lot. My gradient is from about 75-92 degrees, but she only wants to be on the hot side, right under the light. I skipped the fruit yesterday because she seemed a little off, but she ate her escarole, collard greens and dandelion stems like a piggy like usual. Should I feed her today, or give her a day off? I called the vet and we're going in for a checkup on Monday because of the diarrhea, but I'm gonna be freaking out until then.

I keep mostly snakes, and am not used to animal that can drown themselves by flipping over. Should I be worried about this?

I am not an expert but i am sure someone will be along soon.I know Tortoise can get Diarrhea when stressed mine did when i went on holiday she had spent the week in a small viv and did not like it i gave her dayly soaks to keep her hydrated and she returned to normal. It sound like u were really lucky u walked in when u did and changing the bowl was a good move mine as a few small slates in it so she can push against them if she turns over. I have a Hermann so the diet is different but u may be better avoiding the fruit till the poo goes normal and just feed greens. I hope your totoise gets better soon.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I would skip the fruit for a while, (what kind of fruit are you feeding?) and just go with the greens. Also, a plant saucer would be good for a water dish....something that she could just get in and out without climbing. I make mine on the same level as the substrate...just stick it in a bit. I also keep the whole enclosure at around 85...If they want to cool off they will go into the water, or their hide. This is just what works for my torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just being sure on this... she had the loose stools and has been spending more time then normal on the hotter side since BEFORE she got upside down in the water dish?

Tempest

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the replies. I do feel really lucky to have found her quickly.

Jacqui- yes, she was acting funny before she got turned upside down. Probably two separate incidents. She's been a little more active today than yesterday, so I'm a little less worried. She ate some red leaf lettuce and collard greens today. We have an appointment on Monday, just to be sure. Hopefully I can get a fecal sample for the doc.

Terryo- She's been eating strawberries and peaches, and a few blueberries. Some squash and carrots, too. I also sank the bowl farther into the substrate to try and keep her safer.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Loose stools can be a lot of things, too much fruit is only one possibility-they really don't need much and should not get a lot of wet, low-fiber options. In that sense

Another option is too little fiber. Greens, the stems and ribs of stems, stringy stuff. It may be a tummy problem or illness. Lots of possibilities.

Tempest

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, OH
Took her to the vet yesterday, he was awesome. He let me listen to her heartbeat, ran a fecal and let me look through the microscope at the eggs of a Strongyloides worm. We got some Panacur for it.
I couldn't get her to poop for me for the day before or day of the exam, but that was ok after all, because she *did not* like being held upright for the exam and pooped like 3 times on the exam table. :p

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.