Is it necessary to soak a nine year old????

Status
Not open for further replies.

clucey

5 Year Member
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think most with large tortoise, they give them a mud hole or pond or kiddy pool to soak in once a week or so. Specially when it's really hot. Even just making the ground really wet/soaked, for them to lay in. Greg, ALDABRAMAN, sprays his tortoises down with water which at the same time will make the ground wet and puddly. I plan on soaking mine at least once a week when he is larger. Mine is a leopard and only two, so still easy. See what others suggest.

knechtion53

5 Year Member
SF East Bay Area
They do get heavy, so giving them a way to soak themselves is best.
I have a small plastic kiddie pool for my 12 yr old sully, Elvis.
We dug a hole, put in some PVC piping, added some sand and small rocks on top of the pipe for drainage and put the pool down inside the hole. We also cut a drainage hole in the middle of the pool for the pipe drain. The pool is filled to no more than 1/4 of capacity and we put a square stepping stone in to assist him getting out.
We also mist him and his area several times a day on hot days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Depends on your situation. If you live in a humid area with regular rainfall and puddles, you have an appropriate water source that you are sure your tortoise regularly drinks from, you have a well designed, well planted enclosure, then maybe not.

If you think you might fall short in any of the above categories, I say soak 'em.

In my opinion:
1. Soaking a tortoise that doesn't really "need" it, hurts nothing.
2. Not soaking a tortoise that does need it could be catastrophic.

Regular soaks are an easy way to make sure your tortoise is getting all the water it needs.

clucey

5 Year Member
Thats very helpful I was concerned as I dont see him drinking from the dish and i change it daily. Also his urine was white and foamy. Im pretty sure his food source is ok as i prepare it with the dietary recommendations and give him very little treats maybe a slice if apple and two hibiscus a week at most. I have been spraying him down but he only took advantage of it one time in two weeks. Other times he gets a little wet and moves on. Went out and git him a ponding pool and gave him a dip. Is the urine supposed to be on the white side????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The phrase "supposed to be" makes this very difficult to answer.

Generally speaking whiter, thicker urates indicate an tortoise getting less water and working harder to conserve what water they do have. Thinner or clearer urates, indicate a tortoise that is getting plenty of water.

I will say that in a general sense, it is normal for an adult tortoise to excrete some urates once in a while. If its gritty or chunky, that could be an indicator that the tortoise is not getting enough water to meet its needs.

clucey

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom I know you have been doing this a while and I really respect your opinon. I gavr him a little soak in a kiddy pool and plan on leaving the pool there for goofing off if he so desires. He doesnt seem to be demonstrating any lack of appetite or sluggishness beyond his normal lazy self. Mahalo

@wellington...tried that method but the ground desnt pond easy. It was really cute to watch him one day as he lufted his head way up and let the plant leaf run water down his neck. It was a great moment. Kiddy pool will do. @kntech heavy ....yup already pulled my back out with the up and over so will be utiluzing independent ins and out methods for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.