Is humidity essential/important?

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hello everyone,
I'm just wondering if humidity is important or not because till now I haven't done much to the tortoise table to keep humidity in as I can't think of ways to do it. Since I give my greek tortoise 1-2 soaks everyday and always soak his veggies in water before feeding him it to keep him hydrated, do I really need to worry about humidity?
Thanks!

Alaskamike

South Florida
The problem with indoor tort tables is often the dedicating effects of overhead heat / light lamps. What it does is dry out the caprice in an abnormal way. Natural sunlight is not the same.

Dosu

Kuwait
The problem with indoor tort tables is often the dedicating effects of overhead heat / light lamps. What it does is dry out the caprice in an abnormal way. Natural sunlight is not the same.
So without regulating humidity, my tortoises shell could dry out? :O

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it is somewhat important. More important for babies than it is for adults.

They don't need "high" humidity, but "moderate" humidity will help to counteract the effects of the desiccating indoor heat sources that Mike mentioned.

To use some numbers: Many indoor enclosures with dry substrate have extremely low humidity at around 10-20%. I think 50-70% is a good range for most Testudo in indoor enclosures. 80%+ would be good for tropical species of tortoises that are going to be kept warm 24/7.