Is hibiscrub safe to use on Russian Tortoises ?

salsasauce

Location (City and/or State)
london
Hi there my tort has a very mild case of shell rot. I have treated him using hibiscrub as it was what i had on hand, i had given him a bath and added some hibiscrub on his shell to scrub the marks gently with a toothbrush. I rinsed him and let him bathe in fresh water to remove any residue and gave him another bathe to drink. But i am now worried that i have potential caused any harm by letting him sit in water that had the hibiscrub solution? He wasn't in the solution for very long.
(hibiscrub is an antimicrobial solution and is used by vets in the uk for all animals.)

I was a bit panicked at the shell rot and wanted to act as quickly as possible and read that hibiscrub was safe. But i am just worried i have potential done more harm than good since water is absorbed through their cloaca.

Was this extremely stupid of me to let him sit in this water? Will this make him ill? Is there anything I can do to remove it from his system if it has been absorbed ?

I am a very worried and upset tort owner.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi there my tort has a very mild case of shell rot. I have treated him using hibiscrub as it was what i had on hand, i had given him a bath and added some hibiscrub on his shell to scrub the marks gently with a toothbrush. I rinsed him and let him bathe in fresh water to remove any residue and gave him another bathe to drink. But i am now worried that i have potential caused any harm by letting him sit in water that had the hibiscrub solution? He wasn't in the solution for very long.
(hibiscrub is an antimicrobial solution and is used by vets in the uk for all animals.)

I was a bit panicked at the shell rot and wanted to act as quickly as possible and read that hibiscrub was safe. But i am just worried i have potential done more harm than good since water is absorbed through their cloaca.

Was this extremely stupid of me to let him sit in this water? Will this make him ill? Is there anything I can do to remove it from his system if it has been absorbed ?

I am a very worried and upset tort owner.
How do you know he has shell rot? No, you haven't hurt him yet. Get a tube of the stuff men use on foot fungus. That will get rid of shell rot nicely. IF it's shell rot

salsasauce

london
How do you know he has shell rot? No, you haven't hurt him yet. Get a tube of the stuff men use on foot fungus. That will get rid of shell rot nicely. IF it's shell rot

Ok good, he has white marks on his shell that look like the shell rot pictures and i am pretty certain it is shell rot. I will try that.

I will stop using the hibiscrub. I had read it was safe and was suggested to use on shell rot, I shouldn't have let him sit in the water, and i will not let that happen again

What do you mean by yet?

Thank you!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ok good, he has white marks on his shell that look like the shell rot pictures and i am pretty certain it is shell rot. I will try that.

I will stop using the hibiscrub. I had read it was safe and was suggested to use on shell rot, I shouldn't have let him sit in the water, and i will not let that happen again

What do you mean by yet?

Thank you!
Sorry, I was thinking you let him soak in a tub of water you aren't sure of. OK...
Are you experienced enuf to recognize shell rot? Why would he have rot? Is his habitat wet? In my experience, which is not great, shell rot does not just happen. What is wrong with him that leads you to believe he is rotting?

salsasauce

london
Sorry, I was thinking you let him soak in a tub of water you aren't sure of. OK...
Are you experienced enuf to recognize shell rot? Why would he have rot? Is his habitat wet? In my experience, which is not great, shell rot does not just happen. What is wrong with him that leads you to believe he is rotting?

When i was cleaning him i had him in a trough and he was sitting in the water. I did not think it would be bad at the time but i was forgetting he can absorb water. He wasn't sitting in the water for long at all i am just worried that this small exposure has caused him harm. He gets to roam around the garden on warm days and we have other animals he has come into contact with so it could have been anything. He will get a quick clean after, i might not have been effective at cleaning him or he hasn't dried properly.

Like i said its very mild case i was tackling it before it gets any serious. He is completely fine, eats lots is very active and bright eyed. Picture attached has two small whitish marks in his shell that looks the same to shell rot pictures. I am no expert i just want to do the best for my tortoise.

I was more worried that me letting him sit in the water with diluted hibiscrub would cause more harm and wanted to know if there is anything i can use that is available in the UK.

Attachments

• IMG-3697.JPG
    IMG-3697.JPG
    975.6 KB · Views: 18

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
When i was cleaning him i had him in a trough and he was sitting in the water. I did not think it would be bad at the time but i was forgetting he can absorb water. He wasn't sitting in the water for long at all i am just worried that this small exposure has caused him harm. He gets to roam around the garden on warm days and we have other animals he has come into contact with so it could have been anything. He will get a quick clean after, i might not have been effective at cleaning him or he hasn't dried properly.

Like i said its very mild case i was tackling it before it gets any serious. He is completely fine, eats lots is very active and bright eyed. Picture attached has two small whitish marks in his shell that looks the same to shell rot pictures. I am no expert i just want to do the best for my tortoise.

I was more worried that me letting him sit in the water with diluted hibiscrub would cause more harm and wanted to know if there is anything i can use that is available in the UK.
I'm pretty sure shell rot is on the plastron..
Can you circle the area with the white spots? I can't see anything super bad

salsasauce

london
they can get it on the carapace as well in what I have read and seen in photos.

As i have said it is very small and mild but it still looks like other shell rot i have seen and it is recommended to treat as soon as possible to prevent spread, He is completely fine still eating, bright eyed and active, with no other problems with his shell.

Attachments

• InkedIMG-3697_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG-3697_LI.jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 11

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
they can get it on the carapace as well in what I have read and seen in photos.

As i have said it is very small and mild but it still looks like other shell rot i have seen and it is recommended to treat as soon as possible to prevent spread, He is completely fine still eating, bright eyed and active, with no other problems with his shell.
That's not shell rot. Just normal wear and tear. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Ink

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Are you sure? ok thats fine then i was worried since its a nasty thing to happen. thank you for your replies
You can dab a little anti fungal cream on it if you want just in case it won't hurt anything.