Is he depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey guys, so tank I still acting up ahe is eating though. He left his hide finally and now he just sits in the back corner behind the aloe on the hot side. All day. Is he depressed he's not outside because he is all full of energy out there.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Depressed is not very likely, but there are other things I would look for.

I don't remember any of your situation, so forgive me if I am restating other posts, but...
- Wrong temps, humidity, etc. Even if kept outside, things can be uncomfortable for a tort.
- Poor diet. If it is not eating well, it will not have any energy.
- Illness. There are many, many health problems that are signaled by this sort of behavior. Have you seen any other symptoms? Has it been seen by a vet?
- Stress. The vet definition of stress is the difference between the husbandry an animal gets, and what it needs. Stress over time is often fatal.
- Boredom. Tortoises need something to do when they are awake as much as any other animal. Space to explore, things to look at, new things to taste, etc.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
He is forsure eating a ton and the right diet. He just recently started eating grass and clover.
The temps are perfect 82 to 88 on the warm side. 90 to 98 hot side bask 95 to 100.
He seems ok I just changed his set up a little I added a new light also UVB.

He does run around outside all happy. Once I move him in his set up he moves around a bit checks things out then goes back to his spot. It was always his spot before I changed everything now he sits there always.

Any ideas on what to add to his set up. I'm now growing hibiscus for him to try out.
I'm not sure what would even stress him everything is the same routine rather then the light and the set up change. It didn't change much though. He has more room now.

I mean he seems ok though. No bubbles no signs of sick.
Eats great today he really ate. Must have ate a pound of grass mazuri endive lettuce and cucumber. At all of it lol so he wasn't hungry.

It maybe getting to hot for him. I use to have his bask spot at 90. And te rest the tank little cooler he seemed to be more energetic. But I've had it hot a while. How can I tell if he's way to hot?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Why is he not outside?

Being full of energy is a good thing. Sitting in a corner all day is not.

It doesn't sound like there is a probably if he is eating a lot, but there may be if he isn't exercising. If conditions are good, I'd recommend placing him outside for as long as he can be.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Neal said:
Why is he not outside?

Being full of energy is a good thing. Sitting in a corner all day is not.

It doesn't sound like there is a probably if he is eating a lot, but there may be if he isn't exercising. If conditions are good, I'd recommend placing him outside for as long as he can be.

he is let out when the weather permits. He use to be fine indoors walking around happy. Now he sits in the corner or in his hide alot. I started growing things inside his set so they should sprout soon. Sometimes the weather is just not good to allow him outside. He has a great insideset up which he has always loved. Mayb I changed to much. Thesitting around bugs me a ton. He gets outdoors everyday though.

I never montioned should I add a multi vitamin to his diet. Herptivite to be exact?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So he is eating and is fine, when you place him outside?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Jacqui said:
So he is eating and is fine, when you place him outside?

He will also eat inside also. What he does is either take a long time to come out of his hide go eat all the food i provide then go sit in his corner behind the aloe. Or I will force him out by moving him out a little then he will just go and eat then his corner.

Once i bring him outside he begins his grazing and grazes for hours. once I bring him inside he will just go to bed usually around 4. He use to sleep around 530-6.

Either way he does eat and drink. and is gaining weight. But the sitting around is not something he does.

Mybe the new set up is making him nervous or the new light uvb 24 inch rainforest glo.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
too much changing or enclosures. they take time to adjust sometimes..
They prefer outdoors.. can you put a heat source out there for cooler days?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am wondering if he is just constantly too warm? I believe the basking area should be 95 degrees and the cool end of the pen should be in the mid 70s (as long as you offer up a dry cool side...if you keep the entire enclosure using the constant high humidity, then I would keep at 80)....

Also, any change to their enclosure (their world) can cause them to readjust....also, once they get a taste for the great outdoors...they "appear" to crave it....so you may see what looks like depression as a torts best survival tool, "patiently waiting" for.....food, cool, heat, water and any of the other items that they require to be in a good way...

Also, keep in mind that when your baby is outdoors what you see as enjoying himself by running around like a crazy person looking for their missing keys...perhaps may be a little form of freaking out---remember that he is tiny in this big world and his instincts tell him there are other things in the world that would love to eat him....so the scrambling may actually be a bit of stress....so when he gets back to his indoor enclosure he may have a sense of safety in this place...so he can become calm and relax----eat, chill and lounge about... :D

I say this especially since you say he is good with eating and such...

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
At first the outside was stress but it's more pf a grazing run around like moving from grass to grass. Thank you Angela this is where I got confused. I use to have the bask at 90 to 95 the co side in the 70s and the hide 82ish. And it was perfect then I kept hearing no no 80s and up only so I got a CHE so I'll remove that and see what's up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think outside is where he considers daylight time to be and inside is more for hiding/sleeping.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Maybe but his setup is bright. We will see over the next few days I guess.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You know that each individual tort has their own likes and dislikes...the species they are is a starting point for basic needs, you know what I mean....absolutely each and every tort will need warmth, uva/uvb--how intense depends on the species, food , water, shelter and mental activity....so if you need to play around a bit with your temps to see what creates positive behavior then do it...(just make sure you don't bake or freeze em.....lol)

Also, please keep in mind, if you use the constant wet humid method then please please please do not let your cool side drop below 80---as this can result in negative health issues....but if you provide the cool side as a dry out/cool off side then you should be fine in the mid 70s.....again, this is just how I am looking at what you have described....:D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ok makes total sense. My hot side is the only side I allow wet all the time never drops below 82.
I used to have my cool side 72 and up but ers bad things so warmed it to 85. So I'll go back to my old ways.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tyguy35 said:
At first the outside was stress but it's more pf a grazing run around like moving from grass to grass. Thank you Angela this is where I got confused. I use to have the bask at 90 to 95 the co side in the 70s and the hide 82ish. And it was perfect then I kept hearing no no 80s and up only so I got a CHE so I'll remove that and see what's up.

The temp should not go below 80 IF the humidity is high. Cold and wet/damp and he will get sick. If you use a lower then 80 cool side or night temp, then make sure the humidity/moisture is not as high.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Good comments above. I have never kept leopard tortoises, but here are my thoughts:

1) Make sure temperatures are right. If too warm, your tortoise will require more calories to fuel its faster metabolism. Warmer still, it could go into torpor to avoid energy expenditure. And of course, beyond that, it could die. You say your temps range from 82-100 overall, but it is my understanding that leopard tortoises prefer cool-side temps in the mid-70s, and nighttime drops into the mid-60s. Perhaps if you provide this cool-down option, your tortoise will become more active.

2) How old is your tortoise? Very young tortoises instinctively hide a lot as an adaptation to avoid predators. You can provide more shelter to make it feel safer, or just wait a few months until it gets old enough and bold enough to come out more often.

3) How big is the indoor enclosure? Does your guy have enough room to romp around a bit?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I'm sensing that it's the heat we have had a heat burst here so I hve taken the glass piece off. I used it for humidity. I'm going to cool things down to the way I had things before see how that works. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.