Is bamboo safe for baby sulcatas?

Justincl

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi, I'm from Indonesia and I need to ask whether bamboo leaves are safe for baby sulcatas or not. I do have some bamboo in front of my house however I am afraid that it isn't sterile nor safe for baby sulcatas as I am planning on experimenting to teach my baby sulcata to not only eat vegtables and hibiscus flowers but weeds and grasses as well but, I don't really know the specific type nor family of the plants which males me scared as most plants look alike and when i use google lens its not always an accurate answer. Pls respond as soon as possible thx

Attachments

• 16031893102043547675287368363665.jpg
    16031893102043547675287368363665.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Justincl

Jakarta
I did my research and it was the Thyrsostachys bamboo but idk if its safe bc i am afraid that it isnt clean

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I'm from Indonesia and I need to ask whether bamboo leaves are safe for baby sulcatas or not. I do have some bamboo in front of my house however I am afraid that it isn't sterile nor safe for baby sulcatas as I am planning on experimenting to teach my baby sulcata to not only eat vegtables and hibiscus flowers but weeds and grasses as well but, I don't really know the specific type nor family of the plants which males me scared as most plants look alike and when i use google lens its not always an accurate answer. Pls respond as soon as possible thx
I've never fed bamboo to a sulcata, so I don't know if it is okay or not. Here is a list of good sulcata foods:

I've never been to your country, so please forgive my ignorance. Do they have places there that sell plants and landscaping supplies? We call them nurseries or garden centers here. If yes, those places are usually staffed with one or more people who are plant experts and can help you ID all your local plants. Clip some samples to show them and then write down the names they tell you and go home and look them up on the internet.

Justincl

Jakarta
I've never fed bamboo to a sulcata, so I don't know if it is okay or not. Here is a list of good sulcata foods:

I've never been to your country, so please forgive my ignorance. Do they have places there that sell plants and landscaping supplies? We call them nurseries or garden centers here. If yes, those places are usually staffed with one or more people who are plant experts and can help you ID all your local plants. Clip some samples to show them and then write down the names they tell you and go home and look them up on the internet.
Actually ik those places because i myself dont know much here but i know most stuff abroad but i can tell u this the places where they sell plants here are usually beside roads and not really experts so i think im not gonna feed bamboo im gonna play it safe

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Actually ik those places because i myself dont know much here but i know most stuff abroad but i can tell u this the places where they sell plants here are usually beside roads and not really experts so i think im not gonna feed bamboo im gonna play it safe
Ok.

Don't worry about the plants being dirty. In the wild, everything they eat is covered with dust and dirt unless it just rained. Their food does not need to be sterile. If you find a suitable plant to feed them and it is dusty or has mud on it, a simple rinse with some water will clean it right up. My adult tortoises live outside in large dirt pens. They eat their food off the ground, and they graze on any weeds or grasses that pop up. I can assure you their food is not "clean" in any way. Their tiny hatchling babies also get outside time on the dirt for short periods. This is GOOD for tortoises. It helps seed their GI tract with good flora and fauna which is necessary for digestion. In all of my outdoor enclosures there is bird, lizard, and insect poop from all the wild animals that live outside. Its totally fine.

Your tortoise needs damp substrate under its feet and for humidity. They will poop in the daily soaks, so there shouldn't be any poop going into the enclosure anyway. And if there is some occasional poop or food remnants, the little tiny detrivorous insects that live in the substrate will eat it all up. It is not good for them to live in a dry sterile environment. They need earth and life under their feet.