Is a strawberry a day to much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosey

5 Year Member
Hello again all... Quick question...

I currently am giving my wonderful Rosey (redfoot Tortoise) one strawberry a night as a treat. (She'd do anything for a strawberry) This is currently all the fruit she is getting besides the occasional papaya mix in or apple. Is one strawberry every day too much? I am trying to make sure she has the best diet possible and she eats her greens really well so it didnt seem to much to me but I was hoping for opinions...

Thanks!

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
My understanding from most "experts" that I get advice from is this would likely be too much, but as long as she's eating far more greens than this I wouldn't personally be over worried. Maybe cut it down to a half strawberry or something :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Think of a typical strawberry for a typical Red-foot as being the equivalent of a big bowl of ice cream. Not the worst thing in the world if you only do it once in a while, but there are probably better snack options*, such as plain lettuce, flowers, leaves from safe trees, a Mazuri biscuit, brocolli, cauliflower, squash, bell pepper...

(*- by 'snack' I mean a small supplemental meal offered after the main, more nutritious meal has been eaten.)

Rosey

5 Year Member
I was afraid it was to much but she just loves them so much! She doesn't even sniff them she just goes crazy. She will even come to me when I have a strawberry. Geuss ill have to cut it back to a couple times a week....

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Rosey said:
I was afraid it was to much but she just loves them so much! She doesn't even sniff them she just goes crazy. She will even come to me when I have a strawberry. Geuss ill have to cut it back to a couple times a week....

Redfoots tend to be more of a fruit-eater than many other tortoise species, so one strawberry a week shouldn't be too much, but only after she eats the healthy stuff.

Like Madkins says, let it be offered after the main, more nutritious meal has been eaten.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I like ice cream

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
Strawberries were one of the first food my Redfoot ate of her own will.She was very malnurished when i got her.I had to feed her mush made of cucumber and a little bit of apple at first.We thought she was a goner.3 days later she came out of her hide on her own and saw my daughter eating strawberry shortcake.She come running up to me to tell me daaddy Jazz wont quit staring at me.I seen her looking at the bowl and i picked it up.Her eyes looked like a dog following a treat.What suprised me is how she seen the red that far(shes only a little over 5 in}i was 10 ft away.I gave here one and she shoved her whole face in it.She will darn near sprint to get one.I give them to her about once a week now.I mix it in her greens sliced up.It was another way of getting her to eat her veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.