Is a large tote ok?

windsor3395

I still live at home and am going to be moving sometime this summer so I don't want to do a wood box tell I move into my next home so I got this for the time being its huge k have not got the tortoise yet but I want to get it all set up with the right temp and what not b4 hand (wanting a Russian tortoise)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419894639.831954.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I don't think they realize what you have in your shopping cart. That's the famous Christmas Tree Storage Bin we're always talking about here. It's about 4' long and the sides are plenty high enough to contain an adult Russian tortoise.

YES!!! That's a great 'tote' for your tortoise. But be thinking about an outdoor habitat as soon as you're able.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And don't worry about taping the sides. The opaque doesn't bother them like glass does.

Oh, and - Welcome to the forum!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you end up getting a baby tortoise, then you can use the lid to cover the tote, and cut out holes for the lights. But if you get an adult tortoise, you don't need to cover it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No, I don't think they realize what you have in your shopping cart. That's the famous Christmas Tree Storage Bin we're always talking about here. It's about 4' long and the sides are plenty high enough to contain an adult Russian tortoise.

YES!!! That's a great 'tote' for your tortoise. But be thinking about an outdoor habitat as soon as you're able.
I think it looks plenty big enough. :D
Storage bins are awesome.

windsor3395

Cool I'm going to go get lamps and get it all set up but I live in Kansas and it's supposed to snow this weekend so waiting tell it's warmer to buy a tort :( but so excited!!!!

Prairie Mom

Yes, storage totes can definitely get the job done in a crunch, particularly if you know you are going to be moving soon. We got a tortoise unexpectedly and her first home was in three large storage bins that we cut and duck-taped together. They were deeper and larger than what you have there, but mine was for a larger tortoise. They were huge and linked together created a big space. I put the lights & heat on one side and covered the top of that entire section in aluminum foil, so the light and ceramic heat emitters were inside of it (Just be careful they don't move and touch the sides!!!). I was able to maintain the proper temps and humidity perfectly fine. It wasn't as efficient and as a nice-looking as an insulated wooden box, but my sulcata never saw my power bills :)