Is a crane a threat?

Cagirl5

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara, CA
I just recently discovered (by camera) that there has been a crane that stops by and snacks on the koi in my pond. I have had several fish and Red Eared sliders go missing, but today I actually caught him in the act.

I apologize if this question is dumb, but would my sulcata potentially be a meal to this crane? The sulcata is approximately 12 pounds and gets free roam in the backyard while nobody is home so I'm concerned. Thanks :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I just recently discovered (by camera) that there has been a crane that stops by and snacks on the koi in my pond. I have had several fish and Red Eared sliders go missing, but today I actually caught him in the act.

I apologize if this question is dumb, but would my sulcata potentially be a meal to this crane? The sulcata is approximately 12 pounds and gets free roam in the backyard while nobody is home so I'm concerned. Thanks :)

12 pounds should be aok....how big were the sliders that were taken?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
4-5 inches. I can't imagine a crane flying away with a twelve pound tort but I've been wrong before lol

While it is not impossible...it is crazy unlikely that size/weight of a tortoise will have a problem the same way the small turtle did...

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon

im just gonna leave this right here....... reports said if the kid had been 5 pounds lighter he'd be gone

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Cranes eat small animals like frogs, fish and little turtles as well as berries, seeds and roots.
They tend to eat like herons by dipping in the water or dig about on land for tubers and insects.
I doubt very much they would tackle a sulcata of that size, but you never know for sure.