Introducing Rocky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
The Wife has wanted a red foot for a LONG time now, I agreed they were neat, but after I read up them, we decided to hold off on getting one. I was VERY skeptical about anyone being able to truly meet the needs of these awesome little critters, let alone us.

Recently, someone who hadn't done that research brought a redfoot into the Wife's work to give up for adoption. I really can't blame her for bringing him/her home, its tough to turn down when handed to you. Now Rocky is a part of our family. I apologize for the unoriginal name, the daughters were insistant.

Rocky1.jpg

He's about 6 inches, and fairly pyramided. He was quite lethargic and had a bit of shell rot. (not the deep, ***** kind thankfully). I was shocked and appalled when I read over his paperwork. The lady had only had him 3 months or so. In that time he'd grown 2 inches and gained all that pyramiding. I had no idea so much damage could be done so quickly. We knew time was of the essence and hit the web running to refresh ourselves. I've been a regular visiter to this forum since, and I decided its about time I posted and I want to thank you all for the help your shared knowledge here has been.

He came to us in an obviously wholly inadequate 40 breeder, that has been a struggle to optimize (as you all know), but we've made the best of it it can be. I started work on a new indoor enclosure once enough research was done, hopefully I'll begin testing on it in the next couple days.

Now following the "nerd" feeding regimen, and having mostly good temps and humidity, Rocky is doing worlds better. He's active and curious and I'm feeling pretty good about being able to meet his needs for now.

Unfortunatly, I've been far too successful in the war on weeds in my yard. Plantain is just about wiped out, used to have tons :-( . I never even knew what it was. Dandelions are a scarcity. There still was a trouble spot of what I had thought were dandelions (all them yellow flower thingies were dandelions :) ) but now I suspect are groundsel, so no good for Rocky. Looks like I'll be importing and planting dandelions and plantain, who'd a thunk that day would come.

Anyways, thanks again to all of you, and more posts forthcoming :)

Rocky2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Balboa":

Welcome to the forum!!

Rocky isn't too badly pyramided. He's one lucky tortoise to be in such a loving home with folks who care about treating him right.

We're glad we could be of some help!

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hi there! Rocky is a good looking guy! I've only had mine for a few weeks and I'm so in love with the little guy. Really coming out of his shell, lol. I'm glad you guys are trying to do right by yours.

How did you get rid of your weeds? Just wondering about poisons in the lawn. I've never used anything in mine so I don't know anything about them.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Cherbear said:
How did you get rid of your weeds? Just wondering about poisons in the lawn. I've never used anything in mine so I don't know anything about them.

weed 'n feed, old fashioned pulling, de-thatching and mulching.

I'm nervous about the herbicides from the weed 'n feed in the lawn too. Not sure how long those stick around. There is a "wildflower" patch we have, where no chemicals have ever been employed. Therein lies the last stand of "weeds"... in fact that's mostly all that's there, the wildflowers are gone lol.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Welcome to the forum!!!!
I'm a newer member myself. I agree this place is amazing :)
Rocky is so cute and as a Rocky fan I LOVE the name :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Well Rocky's in his new home.... and actively relandscaping all my hard work.. LOL I was expecting that, hopefully at least a few plants survive.

I wasn't planning on moving him in today, as I'm still not totally satisfied with how its running, then I realized even though its not perfect, its still performing WAY better than his old digs, so move him in! Hopefully get some pics up in the enclosures section soon.

It feels so good to give him the good temps, humidity, and at least some of the room to roam that he deserves.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think your daughters made a good choice for a name. I know, when I am in a hurry trying to round up my clan, they all seem to turn into rocks and blend into the ground. :D

When you said he was badly pyramided, I prepared for the worse. Rocky really has very little and looks overall like a very handsome and lucky fellow.

Sounds like your doing great with him. Enjoy your one tortoise remodeling crew. :D Also tell your wife, she did great!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Thanks for all the support folks :) you're all great.

And Rocky thanks you too :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have 3 things to say nice RF
" ADRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN"
and "hey bullwinkle watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat".

Status
Not open for further replies.