Introducing Olive, my Greek hatchling with a decreased appetite abut nibbles on orchid bark

TFM

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello all,

My name is Toni and I am located in Southern California. This isn't my first post but I failed to properly introduce before. I have a Greek Tortoise named Olive who is approximately 6 months. Olive is now properly situated in a 96x36 Smart Enclosure built by Mark which is just amazing!

From day one Olive was a hearty eater but was started on bagged salad mixes. Since finding the forum in September I have been trying to feed Olive a variety and rotating between grocery curly endive, escarole, dandelion greens, green leaf, butter lettuce, collard greens, mustard greens and clovers. Supplemented with a variety of dried greens from Kapidolo farms, Purina crumbles and mazuri.

As of 3 days ago Olive will only eat clovers grown in the aerogarden nibble on Orchid bark.

The things that have cha
I dont have access to safe weeds so I have been growing seeds from a Tortoise supply mix in an aerogarden.

I'm also working on a tortoise garden for a long term food supply.

1000007214.jpg1000007150.jpg

Attachments

• 20231217_073932.jpg
    20231217_073932.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Very nice.

TFM

California
I had difficulties posting on my phone. Here are details left out.

The temp under the basking area is 95 degrees using a 65w flood bulb. Warm side 85 degrees, cool side is 80 degrees.
24” Arcadia PRO T5 12% UVB fluorescent fixture and bulb.

As of 4 days ago (day before enclosure was changed) Olive will only eat clovers grown in the aerogarden or nibble on Orchid bark. Olive is no longer interested in any form of grocery lettuce, greens or Mazuri. I don't have enough clovers yet for daily feeds and I know variety is needed.

The things that have changed are I introduced clovers about 1.5 weeks ago and 3 days ago Olive's enclosure was changed from a 48x36 to a 96x36.

There is a cuttlebone in the enclosure, I've been including a small dash of miner-all twice a week for two weeks. Since this isn't the first instance of eating substrate. Thank you all in advance!

Are there any tips or recommendations? Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make the clover small bites, chop up the other greens, spritz with water then sprinkle the clover on top and mix in some. To get the clover she will have to eat the others. As she does, slowly take away the clover.
As for bark nibbling. Add a small pinch of calcium and tortoise vitamin onto food twice a week. Also be sure to keep foods off of substrate.
We posted at same time. I would scrape the cuttlebone onto her food twice a week and keep using the miner-all

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't think she can really HIDE in that hide, it's too open. Lovely enclosure! I would add one or two more dark hides though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tammy. I wouldn't add more though, they need lots of roaming space, but unless there is another hide in there, I would add one that is dark and not opened on the back side.

TFM

California
I agree with Tammy. I wouldn't add more though, they need lots of roaming space, but unless there is another hide in there, I would add one that is dark and not opened on the back side.
Thank you Barb and Tammy. Olive has 2 dark hides that she goes in/sleeps in. One on the warm and one on the cool. The middle one is just for decoration and can be removed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_104219_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_104219_Photos.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20231217_103918_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_103918_Photos.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 3