Introducing Barry the tegu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Purchased from Johnny at Tegu Terra. I recommend him btw, great guy.

Attachments

• Barry 1.jpg
    Barry 1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 141

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Needs more jowls.

Not jowly enough.

MOAR JOWLS!!!1

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Yay two tegus to follow!

Hi Barry.

How did Barry handle shipping? Do you know how old he is?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Barry was born last Sept. The great thing about dealing with Tegu Terra is that he gives you a birth certificate with your purchase with information such as birth date, clutch number amd so forth. From a breeding standpoint, that's exceptional. I've only had him one day so I haven't interacted with him at all except to feed and water him. I made a couple attempts at petting him and he wasn't feeling it so I let him be. He's a really big boy, approx 30" so its a little intimidating when you go to approach him. My dads middle name is Barry so that's where the name came from if anyone was wondering. Its kinda funny really because he isn't overly fond of that name so its kind of a way to poke fun at my dad.

Oh and if anyone is wondering, there is absolutely zero comparison between tegu poop and tortoise poop, tegu poop will put you into a coma lol

@ Beck, he handled the shipping very well. He ate within 5 minutes of being placed in his enclosure.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Quick pic I snapped a few minutes ago.

32" when I measured earlier.

Attachments

• Barry 3.jpg
    Barry 3.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 78

dwright27

5 Year Member
Wow! I've got to hand it to anyone who can keep a tegu.. they get so big! (Mind you, so do sulcatas and there are tons of people who have those lol)
I've heard they're "the dogs of the lizard world" lol.. I've seen videos on youtube of them seeking out attention from their owners etc.

I just can't see myself owning something I have to feed rodents to.. I won't get a snake for the same reason. It's hard enough dealing with the meat for my dog lol.

(yes, I get called a hippie a lot.. but at least I shower!!)

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
my tegu buddy :) I was so excited for you to get him. He's a cutie. I hope today went better than the tail whipping from yesterday lol

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are some awesome lizards. Make sure you handel daily they can give you a nasty bite . I've seen a buddy almost loose a finger messing with an untamed one . You know the old saying it's all fun and games till someone looses a finger.
But don't get me wrong I love them little guys .
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
He's calmed down a lot in just a day. I can move him around inside the enclosure which is good progress in such a little time. He still has little outbreaks though. My family came to my house today to check him out, they were all very impressed.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Well today he was very inquisitive and was really trying hard to get out of his enclosure so I scooped him up and held him for a minute. I set him back down and he came back so I did it again. That went on for 15 minutes. I left him alone for a few hours and came back and this time I was able to pick him up and take him out of his enclosure and actually hold him next to me and walk around. He didn't squirm at all, now that's progress! I want to take him to the bathroom and let him take a bath but I haven't done that yet. I did place a 30 quart container in his enclosure and he splashed around for about an hour.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
Very cool you're able to make progress so quickly! What's his background? Was he handled often previously?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Johnny at Tegu Terra interacts with his animals on a daily basis so it's not surprising that he calmed down so quickly since he was used to some handling. He was kinda wild the first day since his environment changed completely but once he got used to me, he calmed right down.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Beautiful. Would love a large lizard. For now, my chameleon and Uro will have to do. Keep updating. Nice to follow such a big handsome fella. I like the story behind his name:D

Status
Not open for further replies.