Info needed

Gloria’s mom

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver
Hello, I just found (or my dog found) this tortoise in a park in Vancouver. I called the spca and animal control to ask if we have wild tortoises or this one has been dumped, and nobody seemed to be able to tell me. I have a Hermann tortoise at home and this clearly isn’t the same breed. Does anyone know the breed of this tortoise? I’m trying to figure out if he needs saving (climate, food etc) or should be left be.

Attachments

• 7BB2B52A-CAC3-41D3-9729-4517646AAAEB.jpeg
    7BB2B52A-CAC3-41D3-9729-4517646AAAEB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Definitely a Box Turtle. Looks like an Eastern Box turtle.

Distribution and habitat​

Distribution map
Distribution of the four species of Terrapene
Box turtles are native to North America. The widest distributed species is the common box turtle which is found in the United States (subspecies carolina, major, bauri, triunguis; south-central, eastern, and southeastern parts) and Mexico (subspecies yukatana and mexicana; Yucatán peninsula and northeastern parts). The western box turtle is endemic to the south-central and southwestern parts of the U.S. (and adjacent Mexico) while the spotted box turtle is endemic to northwestern Mexico only. The Coahuilan box turtle is only found in Cuatro Ciénegas Basin (Coahuila, Mexico).[2]

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yeah, seems like someone's pet did a Houdini. Don't think he will fare well in your winters but Vancouver is a Marine-Temperate climate isn't it? He may survive or maybe HAS survived there for years!

Good luck Mom!