Important to use shell cream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSixSided

5 Year Member
I've had my redfoot for about 5 months now, and when I got him the lady at the pet store recommended this lotion type stuff to put on his shell and legs, arms, etc. But I didn't have the extra money for it at the time, considering she lied to me about his age, and he has quite some pyramiding that she didn't even mention I'm not sure whether to believe her or not.

aJpIJ.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, you can and you can't...all depends upon which school of thought you subscribe to.

Personally, I don't agree that any topicals should be put on tortoises' shells. Look how many years they have been on the planet without anyone putting lotion or cream on them. If you provide what they need in their habitat the shell shouldn't need any additions. In my way of thinking, anything you put on is going to sit there and attract dirt, which MAY cause the tortoise to overheat.

All I do is keep them clean with cool water and a scrub brush. I MAY occasionally paint the new growth areas between the scutes with mineral oil, but never the whole shell.

morloch

5 Year Member
I tried it for a year,,, just to see the difference. No harm done,,, no difference either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Some people use it. Some dont. I tried it for a bit and it didn't seem to do much.

Status
Not open for further replies.