I'm sick with Grief....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I have never felt ill like this before from being so sad....
I have a very special cat. He was a bottle baby and we have a special bond. He is 14. He had a sore on his tongue. I thought he cut it on a can. Took him to the vet and it wasnt healing so took him back.. we did a biopsy and it came back. It is the worst thing it could be. And because of where it is.. it cant be surgically removed. Squamous cell carcinoma. I am sick. I can't imagine my life here without him. Part of me will go with him when he is gone.
As of now. he is doing great. he has no clue. He knows Im upset and has been comforting me, not knowing that he is the cause. Damn them anyway...
I have lost many over the years and some are harder then others.. I have been dreading this one for years. The diagnoses caught me off gaurd and hit me hard. I'm trying to move forward and enjoy what we have left. Esp while he is good. ugh.........................

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Laura...I'm so sorry this is happening to your kitty. I totally understand what you're going through, as I too, have a special kitty friend that I'm going to be absolutely lost without. These next few months, or hopefully, dare I say, years? will be the best your kitty ever lived. He is so blessed to have a loving mama like you to care for him and make his time on this earth the best ever!!

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My heart goes out to you and your special kitty.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Laura, I am so very sorry to hear that :( and I am really sorry you and your little one have to go through that. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is really horrible news for you Laura. Recently, Maggie went through this, as we all did at some time or another. All I can say is be strong and God bless....

M

Maggie Cummings

Laura...You know i recently lost my Big Bubba, so you know that when I tell you I totally understand how you feel, you know I do. In my case he went fast and unexpected, so I didn't have to hold him everyday knowing he will be gone. There are no words I can say to make you feel any better. I am so sorry.
Hold your sweetie and enjoy him while you can...this is going to be very hard for you, but stay cheerful for him...he will need your comfort.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hi Laura,
I am so sorry that your sweet kitty is sick. I am also a cat lover and currently have four "glorified couch cushions", who provide endless episodes of hilarity and exasperation. Each one is special in his own way.

I also once had a cat named George, who was so incredibly smart and loving, who was my own very precious friend. He left me on Christmas Eve of 1998, and I miss him still to this day. I keep his picture on the wall. I am so glad that I was privileged to have had him in my life for thirteen years. He was my bud.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Laura, I am sorry to hear your kitty is so ill. The days will be hard knowing this information I know. As will it be so very hard when his time comes for him to leave you. For now all you can do is love him, enjoy him, and cry for him. Oh and let him comfort you now while he has the opertunity to do so. Hugs to you and your kitty. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm sorry Laura about your cat becoming ill. It is so hard for us because they're like our children. I think it might even be harder for you because of what you just went through yourself. I know with you his life has been a good one you're one of those special people who feel what animals feel. I love people like that. God Bless you and your kitty.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you for all the kind words and understanding.. Its nice to know you can vent and 'cry' here and people understand and dont judge for loving 'just a cat'. He has blessed me with his time spent here. I want more, but Im glad for what I got.. and still will get.. Im grateful he doesnt know and he comes to comfort me still.
Last night he was walking across the living room and saw a bug and pounced on it. So cute,, and yet it was so sad.. I will miss that!
And today i took one of my other cats in for bloodwork.. I will know in the morning I hope why the weightloss and huge appetite! something treatable I hope...

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Could be diabetes. Our Boris had it bad and was deteriorating fast--lots of peeing, super hungry, and he stopped grooming himself. His back legs were too weak to jump up on a couch or bed, and it was heart-wrenching to watch him try and fail. His back feet would even slip out from under him when he tried to walk across the kitchen floor.:(

Now, after months of insulin shots twice a day, he is fat, glossy, stoic and loving as ever (only purrs when I stick him with that needle twice a day). Just like he used to be. He is about 16 years old so we are thankful indeed for each additional month we get to spend with him.:)

H

harveybogart

Hi Laura,

Well dear,I feel sorry for your cat and your condition.I know the feelings and caring of someone who loves and adores you in your full time.Don't take tension as it is know good environment there.Take care of your fellow and loveliones.My heartily wishes are always with you and your families.Thanks for sharing your sad experiences with all of us.

Thanks

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Hi Laura,
Just read your story about your boy. Your story sounds quite similar to ours. We too were caught off guard by the diagnosis. We enjoyed our boy for about a year after the diagnosis, I made a deal with him and told him when it became difficult for him to eat, well..you know...

He was only 10, wish we could have enjoyed him much longer. Had the vet come out to the house...a little piece does go with them.

I do hope you can enjoy him for a good long while more...he is lucky to have you as a steward in this life...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Petey the other cat. Not diabetes. Some sort of Intestinal thing, although the Symptoms are not typical.. Possibly intestinal Lymphoma.. ugh.. he is acting fine and we are trying a few things..
Gizmo is still doing ok. We are going to try a drug that has worked for dogs with the same cancer and it has been used on some cats with some success. Not a cure. It just slows the tumor growth and gives more quality time. I hate not doing anything.. if there is something.. I m willing to try. Waiting for the Vets call..

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am glad Petey does not have diabetes but I am sorry to hear something is wrong with his intetines :(, at least he is acting find :).
Good luck with the new drug and to Gizmo :)

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
We are so sorry to hear about your cat. We hope that even though it is not operable, that the rest of his life is painless and good. Our thoughts are with both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.