I'm new!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coaly17

5 Year Member
Hi,

My name is Nicole and I live in Alberta (Canada). I have many pets (three cats and a dog) and I have two reptiles, a leopard gecko named Lola and a little baby greek tortoise named Lionel. (Pic of Lionel is attached)

I've always loved tortoises and I think they're soooooo cute!!! So I finally got Lionel right after Christmas this year!! He's still super tiny and I've got some questions about the little guy so I'm hoping this forum really helps me get some answers!!

Thanks!!!

Nicole :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Nicole!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Nicole.

Here are your first few tips:
1. Don't feed your tortoise on carpet.
2. Don't put your tortoise on carpet. Errant carpet fibers or human hairs can get wrapped around their limbs and cut off their circulation, leading to necrosis and or amputation. Happens all the time.
3. Spinach should only be fed once in a while and in small amounts mixed with other foods.
4. Don't feed fruit. A small amount won't kill them, but its not good for them and they don't need it.
5. Are those carrots? Same as fruit...

Best diet is a wide variety of broadleaf weeds and some leaves. For starters, look for dandelion, sow thistle, broadleaf plantain, etc. also look for hibiscus leaves, grape leaves, and mulberry leaves. The list of good foods is very long. these are just a few suggestions. Good luck! Hope we can help you lots here.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Hello! Welcome to the forum! I'd love to see pics of your enclosure. Just a few things you kneed to know that a lot of people don't understand: tortoises don't like being touched or handled, you should usually only feed them what they get in the wild (weeds, grasses, specific plants, and some flowers), temperature is key to a tortoises health, you need a water dish, and you need a place for them to hide and get out of the sun.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Hi and welcome. You will find good information on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.