I'm new here and am a 1st time turtle owner

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Why are the mealworms and crickets not good to leave in the container? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, I'm learning.
I should have explained! If they are hungry they may nibble at the turtle. Also, you'e mealworms will turn into beetles. Earthworms and pill bugs are great to keep in there though! If there are only a few mealworms and crickets in there don' worry for now. Just don't add more.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I posted pictures below, I didn't do it as a reply my apologies, I'm still learning.

Do you have any ideas on what I could look for to tell if she's been eating or not? We've had her for 17 days, she still has a small area where her egg sack was and she's SO active. Today after I soaked her for 15 minutes and we put some new wood in her cage, she walked around, going in and out of her water pool for hours.

She looks great, seems happy. I just don't want to miss something.
Try to normalize its environment. It's ok to move things around if you are doing maintenance but put everything back in its place, they aren't comfortable with a lot of change. If you put the fruit, pellets and other immobile food in a dish outside of it's hiding place you may notice food missing when you come back. It's ok to leave the pill bugs and earthworms loose and it may eat some of them but you will probably not be aware if it does. You can try to establish a soaking routine where you add food to the water and walk away, then do an inventory of the food when you come back 15-20 minutes later.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
maggots from a bait store ......... they're easy to find , cheap , small , and they work , they move , but not that fast ... if one gets away , the worst you end up with is a fly .......... I do like using red dishes/lids for food , probably just in my head , but they seem to want to check out red , and learn to recognize it as meaning food ......

Lisa Baker

CT
I am SO EXCITED! After her morning soak I put a piece of smaller earthworm we went and bought last night in the sink with her, after draining the water. She went right for it. I have NEVER been so excited! After she walked away from the piece a couple times I put her back in her container where we had placed the other pieces of the small worm and she went right for them. I am astonished and so happy. Thank you all!

Attachments

• DSC01265-1.jpg
    DSC01265-1.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC01264-1.jpg
    DSC01264-1.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 15

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I am SO EXCITED! After her morning soak I put a piece of smaller earthworm we went and bought last night in the sink with her, after draining the water. She went right for it. I have NEVER been so excited! After she walked away from the piece a couple times I put her back in her container where we had placed the other pieces of the small worm and she went right for them. I am astonished and so happy. Thank you all!
Yep, earthworms usually work!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I'm so happy for you! They are such resilient creatures who want to eat and grow, the trick is to find out what stimulates them to do so. When you do find a method stick to it, make it a routine, and they will prosper.

Lisa Baker

CT
Now to figure out how much to feed her. Do they stop eating when hungry? Also when should I start using the calcium additive to the worms? I do not want to leave out anything she needs to be strong and healthy.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
You can feed growing turtles as much as they will eat. Adult turtles can become obese if allowed to eat too much. Add calcium supplements once or twice a week.