ill tortoise found

Jennyroque

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi there we found this little guy in our lawn 2 days ago. The shell is very thin and I have no idea what it needs. I tried our local vet but they are not familiar with reptiles…

It’s barely eating or moving . Help pls.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there we found this little guy in our lawn 2 days ago. The shell is very thin and I have no idea what it needs. I tried our local vet but they are not familiar with reptiles…

It’s barely eating or moving . Help pls.
Can we see a picture from the front?

Keep it warm and give it a basking lamp. The area directly under the lamp should be near 100 degrees to simulate a warm sunny area to bask in. Set this on a timer for 12-13 hours a day.

The shell color and flattened shape look kind of DT, but the leg scales look like sulcata. Its one or the other. Primary difference being night heat, or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He is suffering from a very severe case of metabolic bone disease. The bones have collapsed causing the flat look. He's probably going to die. You need to find a qualified tortoise vet who can administer calcium.

Set him up in a smallish hospital tank and heat it up to 85F degrees day and night. He needs a good UVB light over him.

I don't know how he could have travelled far in his current state. He's in a of of pain

Jennyroque

Today is my birthday!
California
He is suffering from a very severe case of metabolic bone disease. The bones have collapsed causing the flat look. He's probably going to die. You need to find a qualified tortoise vet who can administer calcium.

Set him up in a smallish hospital tank and heat it up to 85F degrees day and night. He needs a good UVB light over him.

I don't know how he could have travelled far in his current state. He's in a of of pain
We rushed to petco last night and bought a UVB light bulb and a red light bulb too. He’s currently under the bulb and seems to be moving a little more. We live in the desert and find quite a few but never get in their way and they always have a way rounder shell. This one I knew was ill and it pains me that the one that we actually try to rescue is in pain and will possibly die. I have also read that it’s possible to use the powdered calcium. Last night it did eat a little. Would this be worth a try?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We rushed to petco last night and bought a UVB light bulb and a red light bulb too. He’s currently under the bulb and seems to be moving a little more. We live in the desert and find quite a few but never get in their way and they always have a way rounder shell. This one I knew was ill and it pains me that the one that we actually try to rescue is in pain and will possibly die. I have also read that it’s possible to use the powdered calcium. Last night it did eat a little. Would this be worth a try?
Poor little thing - if he is actually eating a bit, then powdered calcium on his food would be a good idea - as long as the powder doesn't put him off eating - some tortoises won't touch it.But a vet could get a lot more into him quickly.
Best wishes
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Colored bulbs should never be used over tortoises, and they probably sold you the wrong UV bulb too. The typically sell the cfl type UV bulb and those are ineffective UV sources and sometimes burn tortoise eyes.

We need to know the species so we can give you the correct care info, but you can start here:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think it is crucial that he is given long warm soaks, as he may be actually on the point of death from dehydration. Make the water level at about the point where the top and bottom shells meet or slightly higher and keep the water slightly warm, watching him at this for at least half an hour twice a day . You can also add Pedialyte to the water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Colored bulbs should never be used over tortoises, and they probably sold you the wrong UV bulb too. The typically sell the cfl type UV bulb and those are ineffective UV sources and sometimes burn tortoise eyes.

We need to know the species so we can give you the correct care info, but you can start here:
It's a desert tortoise, Tom.