I need some advice

Meeelinda

I recently got a Russian Tortoise. I named him Vinny I'll post pictures of him soon.

I have a question on lighting. As of right now I have a Mercury Vapor Lamp. I have notice he is not on the color side as much. I am wondering if its too cold or needs more light? Across from his enclosure there is a window that brings good lighting during the day. The temperature says its 70 degrees on the cooler end. My place doesn't get cold stays about 70 degrees at night and during the day its about 73.

I also would like to get advice on how to keep the humidity high. I also spray the substrate couple times a day.

I am working on his enclosure still. I put a fake plant in it yesterday and hes been chilling under it since I got it. I read that Russian tortoise like to move around a lot. Maybe the basking spot is too hot? It stays around 90 to 100?

Attachments

• 20160229_195903.jpg
    20160229_195903.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 19

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Adding more light is usually a good idea. A long florescent tube will work well for this purpose. Try to find one in the 5000-6500K color range. Most bulbs are 2500K and they look yellowish. This info will be on the packaging. You can run the additional light on the same timer as your MVB, or you can run it on a separate timer and have it come on later and turn off earlier, so that it simulates the brightness of mid day.

Your basking spot sounds just right.

To keep humidity higher, you will need to prevent its escape by covering the top of the enclosure and making it a closed chamber. As long as the top is wide open, there is nothing to keep humidity in the enclosure.

Meeelinda

Thanks @Tom for you advice. Do you possibly think I could buy the same dome fixture that I already have and put in a regular bulb?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hello, and Welcome to the forum. The problem with a regular bulb is it will add a lot of heat. The tubes do not. Don't get a cfl, cool type bulb. They can cause eye damage.