I could be over-reacting a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, USA
...but just to be on the safe side, I thought I'd ask for advice and hopefully you guys will put my mind at ease -
Igloo arrived yesterday, he(?) is 16 months old. First reptile, but I have had reptile experience in the past working in private and public shelters.
Tort table
Organic peat with organic Timothy hay on top
Basking at 95, cool end at 80
Hide in the middle with 2 additional Tort safe plants to hide under

Arrived at 10:30am yesterday, ate a small piece of mustard greens (about the size of a quarter), and maybe one small bite of collard greens.
Today:
I started this morning with a warm soak for 20 (ask recommended by the breeder) minutes and Igloo didn't produce any poop. He flexed his legs, but I didn't know if this action was "trying to poop" or simply enjoying the water? I didn't see him attempt to drink anything - and I watched for that.
I mixed breakfast of fresh chopped collard and mustard greens mixed with misted timothy hay - ZERO interest.
He basks and has burrowed under one of the plants. Now, I know this might not be much cause for concern, but I noticed yesterday that the container he was packaged in had some nibble marks - either out of hunger or boredom, I can only assume he ate some of the moist paper towel that was packed with him. Should I just give him time to adjust? Should I try to give him something to stimulate his hunger? Worry about impaction? Pace nervously and whimper? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    899.9 KB · Views: 76
  • photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    842.1 KB · Views: 95

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Paper towel is pretty much biodegradable. I doubt it would cause impaction. Tortoises sometimes take a while to adjust to their new surroundings. Give him a little bit, maybe a week and make sure your temperatures are where they are supposed to be.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Relax... Just Breathe...

Yvonne is right. Most tortoises take a little time to settle in to a new place...

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
And the "nibble marks" could just be where he was trying to crawl out and his nails just tore the paper towels up!

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Looks like he may of just been scratching around but like everyone said just give it some time.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Well, so far still no obvious poop. I did see him urinate 2x today - both clear. I found what might be a very small piece of poo (about the size of a pencil eraser) that was dark and soft - sorry to be graphic but I had to be sure and was very much hoping it could be poop. Yes, I did wash my hands. We're soaking everyday for 20+ mins but he's not going in the water. Eating well - not as much as I would have expected but since he's still adjusting I'm not too worried. Gross as it may sound, I googled pooping tortoise (and watched a video!) to see if there was a certain posture I should be looking for - but I don't know if that would apply to a yearling...and all the poop I found online is from adults. I've got poop on the brain.

Scott

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Clementine said:
... I googled pooping tortoise (and watched a video!) to see if there was a certain posture I should be looking for - but I don't know if that would apply to a yearling...and all the poop I found online is from adults.

My 2 month old Sulcata generally poops while soaking- no noticeably different posture. When he does it in his tank, it's usually while he is walking and it's as if he isn't even aware that he's doing it.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Mine also never notices while walking but I find that if I take the babies outside for a romp both poop within a few minutes of walking around in the dirt and weeds. One will pee on command all I have to do is hold her for a few seconds. I think she does not like me very much yet. They are about 3 months old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard has always pooped in his soak. He usually has some air bubbles come up first and then he will pull his head in, like he is pushing the poop out and then his head will come back out again. Sounds like he might have finally pooped with the pumpkin.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Lol...thats cute..nothing wrong with getting excited about your tort going poo. You know they are ok. And mineral oil works too...

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Southern California
mine usually poops in his soak, although the past couple days he hasn't been as regular - but when he does, it IS like winning the lottery! its a relief, i think, after reading so many threads here about compaction.

as far as signaling a BM, he will pull his head in and out it comes on the other end. also, sometimes his tail, which is usually kept tucked in, will come straight out, and start to wiggle a little bit too, and then there it is. as for the pee, once i was carrying him back to his enclosure, and it was like a water balloon broke in my hand. that was NOT so much like winning the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.