i am getting 2 red foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane1111

5 Year Member
i am getting two cherry head x red foot cross! they are a little over a year old.
the breeder is getting me the two with the best color. should i ask for a male and a female or does it matter?
i have the cage all most set up. it will be finished by time they get hear and i will post pics

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Congrats! I would go female & female if you insist on having two (they do not need a "friend" and do great alone), as a male & female pair might have the male harass the female too much. Keep in mind that in any case you may have to separate due to bullying or other issues, and sexing a hatchling is far from 100%. Best to plan for two enclosures and if it works out that they can be housed together, then that is great. So glad they are yearlings as they are less fragile. Good luck!

shane1111

5 Year Member
one will be mine one will be my moms she has wanted a tort for a wile. but she is bad a keeping pets so ill take care of them.
how do u tell male from female?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
shane1111 said:
one will be mine one will be my moms she has wanted a tort for a wile. but she is bad a keeping pets so ill take care of them.
how do u tell male from female?

As hatchlings it is almost impossible. You can predict it to a degree from the hatching temps, but even that is iffy.

As sexually mature adults, about 7" long, you can tell by the male's long tail, incurved plastron, and the larger opening at the back of the shell.

shane1111

5 Year Member
then it will be a waitinmg game. from every thing i have read they are usualy good with each other

Status
Not open for further replies.