I am a new MOMMY of a RF!!! YEAHHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I will post pictures as soon as he decides to come out of his hide :0) Got him last night at 11pm. Felt like a drug deal. I met the previous owner at a gas station off the highway, she roled down her window, I handed her the cash and she handed me a box. I didn't even get to really see him until I got home. (found him on craigslist and only communicated with previous owner through email.) It was a very HOT car ride. Gave him a quick soak in warm water and put him in his new home. He walked all around. I fed him a grape and some spring green mix - he sure liked the grape! He then found his way to the hide. I know he came out again after that becuase his food was all gone this morning but I have not seen him since. I am taking it that he likes the hide I made for him.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow what a way to buy a Redfoot. :D Yeah they love their fruit. :p Can't wait until you post picture of him and his enclosure. Don't forget to tell us how old he it. :)

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Congratulations!!! Looking forward to some pictures :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Congrats :) I know it's been said before we want to see some pictures :cool:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Wow! That did sound like a "deal". I have not seen one good thing on Craigslist around here. Lucky find, and congrats.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Congrats on your new baby!

I have bought two box turtles under odd circumstances. One I bought from a kid in a high school parking lot in Grand Rapids, MI. He had this poor turtle, shell all closed up, waving her around like she was a toy. I hopped out of the car and offered him $20. He took the money and I took the turtle ;) That is my little Mika.

Mikhail was a similar situation, only it was a Walmart parking lot in Gaylord, MI and he ended up costing me $40....

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Here is a picture of him/her -- no name as of yet waiting to see if I can figure out if male or female. Person I got it from thought male because she had 2 and she saw some aggression between them. He is a little shy yet ( and a little ticked because I dug him out of his hide ;) )

tortoise 080.JPG

kyryah said:
Congrats on your new baby!

I have bought two box turtles under odd circumstances. One I bought from a kid in a high school parking lot in Grand Rapids, MI. He had this poor turtle, shell all closed up, waving her around like she was a toy. I hopped out of the car and offered him $20. He took the money and I took the turtle ;) That is my little Mika.

Mikhail was a similar situation, only it was a Walmart parking lot in Gaylord, MI and he ended up costing me $40....

I paid $50, but I saved the gas and time of taking a 2 hour trip to go to their house and pick him up. There was another red foot on craigslist and a couple on petfinders but the rescues and others selling wanted around $100.00. This person had just bought 2, suppose to be male and female from a pet store in Milwaukee, but she thought they were showing signs of aggression toward each other so figured they both may be males so wanted to rehome one of them.... so I got lucky and become a new mom! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Congrats on the...'deal'...!!! It's exciting taking the plunge into tortoisehood! Can't wait to see more pics...(maybe of your bully also)

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Here are some pics of his/her belly, front, back

tort size.jpgtort bottom.jpgtail end.jpgtortoise 079.JPG

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
emysemys said:
I think its a boy.

So why do you think it is a boy? I had 2 others tell me they thought it was a girl :0) Just wondering what to look for... lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not real good as sexing the redfoots, but what I was going by was the angle of the anal scutes. They both point outward, towards the back legs.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
emysemys said:
I'm not real good as sexing the redfoots, but what I was going by was the angle of the anal scutes. They both point outward, towards the back legs.

So if the points are facing more toward the tail that would be more likely a female? I know I read that a male will get the hour glass look, but did not know at what age this would start to be visible. i also read that the belly plate ( not sure how to spell) is more concaved in the males and flatter in females which make me think it was maybe a female. I may need to find a generic name ... lol

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
ticothetort2 said:
Congrats on the...'deal'...!!! It's exciting taking the plunge into tortoisehood! Can't wait to see more pics...(maybe of your bully also)

Here is a picture of my Bulldog. He is sleeping in my shichons bed... lol just a little small for him but he is doing what he does best.

RJ 005.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.