Hypocrisy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yvonne is such a hard name for anyone to spell. How 'bout something with just 'Y' in it? I'm truly honored that you hold me in such high regard, but believe me, I don't deserve it!
The first girl that was ever sweet on me was named Yvonne. I know how to spell it well! She was one of the most "desired" girls in the school, two grades ahead of me, and to this day I have no idea why she chose me...

There will be several pens but nothing will be done to change what is and would be their natural surroundings and ecosystem.
I think you will find the above to be a mistake. You will need to modify things, add water and food, and generally help them, or they will not likely survive. My friend in Senegal discovered this the hard way when trying to repatriate sulcatas back to the wild. There are elements of the wild that we do not understand, cannot duplicate, and cannot work in a fraction of an acre pen. Lucky for us and for the tortoises, we know what to do to make it work and keep them healthy.

I like "Yvonne's Acre" the best, but if I know anything, the area will grow larger than an acre as time passes, so it may have to become "Yvonne's Acres" a few years from now.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
The first girl that was ever sweet on me was named Yvonne. I know how to spell it well! She was one of the most "desired" girls in the school, two grades ahead of me, and to this day I have no idea why she chose me...

I think you will find the above to be a mistake. You will need to modify things, add water and food, and generally help them, or they will not likely survive. My friend in Senegal discovered this the hard way when trying to repatriate sulcatas back to the wild. There are elements of the wild that we do not understand, cannot duplicate, and cannot work in a fraction of an acre pen. Lucky for us and for the tortoises, we know what to do to make it work and keep them healthy.

I like "Yvonne's Acre" the best, but if I know anything, the area will grow larger than an acre as time passes, so it may have to become "Yvonne's Acres" a few years from now.
Modifications WILL be made.... Water in every pen and anything else that particular tort needs. The plan is to build pens in a natural, untouched area of land, Joshua Trees, Sage and all the other things naturally found in their environment. I am desperately trying to figure out how I can make a man made burrow impenetrable to gofers and allows a person to be able to reach the tort without digging up the yard. The biologist said they are 0% successful at Trans Locating the torts and building a man made burrow they will stay in. So yes I hear ya it ain't gonna be easy, but with help from experts such as said Yvonne, You and your Yvonne and the countless others here (excluding the Haters and Trolls, just learned the word "Social Media Trolls") I honestly feel it might be possible. And yes "Yvonne's Acres" is most likely what will be. How do you stop a passion from growing into another acre? it is sorta like the love she has shown my family, it has no boundaries.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am desperately trying to figure out how I can make a man made burrow impenetrable to gofers and allows a person to be able to reach the tort without digging up the yard. The biologist said they are 0% successful at Trans Locating the torts and building a man made burrow they will stay in.
I did EXACTLY this. I designed what you describe and had several prototypes along the way. I made a thread on it, but the pics were lost when tinypic.com shut down.

Essentially, it was one of my 4x4x2 night boxes, buried in a 3 foot deep hole, with an insulated double doored access hatch so I could get at them from the top, and an 8 foot long reinforced tunnel for them to get in an out. I pointed the entrance tunnel down hill and built a rain cover over the entrance of the tunnel. The box was completely buried and only the 18x24 inch access hatch, and the tunnel entrance 8 feet away were visible above ground. I used plywood and it lasted about 7-8 years before the plywood walls finally rotted and gave way. I wish I could find those pictures, as they tell the story better than 1000 words from me can.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, will your pens be housing permanent residents or temporary as you try to adopt them out. I love your enthusiasm, but you really can't keep them all. Over the years I took in many, many tortoises. In fact, I recorded each new tortoise on an EXCEL spread sheet, about 30 or so entries per line. When I quit the rescue business I had 10 or 15 pages of entries. I have an acre, and there's no way an acre is large enough to have four or five hundred pens large enough to be comfortable for each occupant.

Reason I asked is because a tortoise wants his burrow where HE wants it. I have found it's best to allow the tortoise to start the burrow where he wants it, and if it's a safe area, then you can modify and strengthen it. But if these pens will only be holding temporary tortoises, a burrow wouldn't be feasible. In this case an above-the-ground shelter would be best.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Y's Turtle and Tortoise Rescue and Sanctuary

(Y's as in wise)
LOVE IT.....
First of all, will your pens be housing permanent residents or temporary as you try to adopt them out. I love your enthusiasm, but you really can't keep them all. Over the years I took in many, many tortoises. In fact, I recorded each new tortoise on an EXCEL spread sheet, about 30 or so entries per line. When I quit the rescue business I had 10 or 15 pages of entries. I have an acre, and there's no way an acre is large enough to have four or five hundred pens large enough to be comfortable for each occupant.

Reason I asked is because a tortoise wants his burrow where HE wants it. I have found it's best to allow the tortoise to start the burrow where he wants it, and if it's a safe area, then you can modify and strengthen it. But if these pens will only be holding temporary tortoises, a burrow wouldn't be feasible. In this case an above-the-ground shelter would be best.
As to this YES unfortunately we can't keep them all. This will ONLY be for what we are keeping forever. Our children inherit this land for the SOLE purpose of it is the land needed to house these torts. Our plan is to start a "Re-Homing" process and have people willing to house torts in "Forever" homes. We are new to this so it's a work in progress with some failure in the future I'm sure, but If you do not dream big, big things won't happen. And again this is a direct result of the Love you shared with us.

Just noticed IT WORKED got rid of all the haters, changed this thread to a positive conversation about torts. Ha you haters get a life.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
FWIW: I have sources on the Black market for Weight Watcher points, incandescent bulbs, R22 refrigerants, Teddy Ruxpins & Cabbage Patch kids

Let me know your needs.....

LOL