Hydrometer

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Will this bad boy be okay for measuring salinity? Setting my diamondbacks up in brackish water here in the next few days. Their going to be in a stock tank unfortunately, but I'll get them set up in a pond as soon as life calms down. I just feel like they'll thrive better in brackish because keeping them in fresh is a bit of a battle once they start putting on size.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220414-163859_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220414-163859_eBay.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Will this bad boy be okay for measuring salinity? Setting my diamondbacks up in brackish water here in the next few days. Their going to be in a stock tank unfortunately, but I'll get them set up in a pond as soon as life calms down. I just feel like they'll thrive better in brackish because keeping them in fresh is a bit of a battle once they start putting on size.
Most of those measure full salt water, and don't have enough range to go all the way down to brackish. I think you'd need one calibrated for brackish in most cases.

I've always done brackish tanks by "feel" since the salt level will be tolerated in such a wide range by those animals anywhere from no salt to full sea water and every where in-between. For fish, crustaceans and DB terrapins I always did half salt water mixed with half fresh water, and that seemed to suit all of them just fine. I'll defer to anyone who has more DBT experience than me.