Humidity, Sick or Spooked?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Just cover everywhere that the light isnt. :)

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I've seen some folks on here drape plastic wrap over the whole enclosure without it melting or anything but for safety you shouldn't put the plastic wrap near the lamps. Cut about an inch or 1/2 inch away from the lamps so most is covered. Have you soaked her outside her water dish yet? Most can be fussy during soaks (I know mine is) but that fussiness is actually good for them, it helps get their muscles moving and allows them to poop easier.

ThornIsDan

Northern Ontario
She hates being soaked via a dish but for some reason she loves it when I spray her shell with water. She loves standing under the humidifier too, where the steam comes out. Strange tortoise.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Mine also loves standing around in the humidifier mist and hates soaks. Unfortunately soaking does stress most torts out to some degree but I recommend you give her a soak in warm water every day, about 15-20 minutes, when she's older you can cut down on the soaks. It'll help keep her shell nice and smooth and keep her hydrated and is overall just good for her health, she is a tropical species after all. :) You can get a plastic litter box and soak her in that, it's big enough for her to walk around a bit and less stressful for her but small enough to empty with ease.

ThornIsDan

Northern Ontario
Cool. I'm going to soak her when I get back from work... I have a second water dish I had taken out due to it being really big. I could use that.
Also... this might sound a little weird, but I think she's a bit of a metal-head. I listen to a lot of music, and a wide verity, everything from blues to classical to country. She usually sleeps or hides when I play music, however I put on a Dio record before work and she came out of hiding and pepped right up. I think I'm going to have to make her some mini-posters :D

ThornIsDan

Northern Ontario
Look who bathed herself after actually eating some vegetables.... :)

368fed09-8a26-499b-881b-b3fa94f2bfd8_zpsfmrzgm6m.jpg

I switched to a vegetable/fruit mix and then added a few fresh pieces of honey dew in the mix. She ate all the honey dew, a bit of the dry fruit and some vegetables... she didn't touch any of the lettuce, but I'm happy with her at least taking some of the other veges.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Also... this might sound a little weird, but I think she's a bit of a metal-head. I listen to a lot of music, and a wide verity, everything from blues to classical to country. She usually sleeps or hides when I play music, however I put on a Dio record before work and she came out of hiding and pepped right up. I think I'm going to have to make her some mini-posters :D

Torts can mainly feel/hear low frequency sound waves and there's a lot of them in metal music. So maybe this is the only music he actually hears :)

ThornIsDan

Northern Ontario
Quick update. She's a little more active, though usually only a few hours a day - and she's finally eating on her own :) I did not have to hand feed today.
I'm using a vegetable/fruit mix and she is starting to pick at the veges.. mostly the peas. She will not touch the lettuce. I've come to the conclusion she just hates lettuce. Her shell no longer feels brittle.
Her poo is a little runny (but better) and it's now a greenish/brown.
I'm a little problem with too much humidity. She has a little place she likes which the ground always stay completely dry, and the humidity is hovering around 90 and the ground in her favorite area has become damp. So a changed to log to protect that area and opened a few vents just before her home. Hopefully that will help. If it doesn't I'll open the hatch over that area just slightly to let humidity out.
Also she's active around me and actually raises her head a little if I'm looking at her - but if she senses any one else in the room she goes into hiding. She's terrified around my friends and sister. Very timid girl.