Humidity levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
What do you guys recommend for a humidity level reading for my indoor leopard tort enclosure?

I want to ensure I am in the correct range.

Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For an older one like yours, I'd just do a large humid hide box. For babies 80% is good, but it must be kept at least 80 degrees around the clock at that level of moisture.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
The hide box I built is made of wood. Just large enough for her to fit in and turn around in. What's the best way to make it humid?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I would say... somehow get a sponge in there. That way you can pour water on the sponge or take it out and clean it and resoak it. It'll keep it humid ish and prevent the subtrate from getting too wet. Maybe someone else has a better idea.
I just mist mine several times a day but I have better plans in the future once the weather permits.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some people stuff the hide with moist sphagnum moss.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Another good idea for a humid burrow would be taking a large hide box and putting a wet sponge on it. While the sponge evapourates the humidity will naturally increase.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I personally would go with the sphagnum moss idea and just keep it moist if you want the humid hide. I have a couple your size and I don't do anything special regarding humidity, whatever it is outside here in AZ that's what their humidity level is.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
For an older one like yours, I'd just do a large humid hide box. For babies 80% is good, but it must be kept at least 80 degrees around the clock at that level of moisture.

So the entire enclosure needs to be at 80% for babies?
I have my hide box at 80-90% and the rest of the enclosure at 60-70%.
Also, I have a tort table with a screen over it and an MVB. I think I may replace the screen with plexiglass. However, I'm not sure if the necessary UVB/UVA rays will get through. Maybe cover 1/2 with plexi and keep the screen where the light is. I have also heard that screens decrease UVB/UVA as well. Maybe a hole where the light shines through?
Any thoughts?
I do try to put Nodder (3 months old) out in the sun daily. I live in the High Desert too, so it's a bit chilly right now, but he loves my slate table top outside (with the necessary protection of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.