Huge Sulcata dry shell

Tyrus

Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa, Ca
I have a 42 year old 185-200lb male sulcata. His shell is very dry and flaky. Is Olive Oul a decent moisturizer?

Tyrus

Yuciapa, Ca
Also will he crush his friend? She is about 40-45 lbs

Attachments

• DC5D5221-2907-4C1D-AC2A-40B7AB2E6884.jpeg
    DC5D5221-2907-4C1D-AC2A-40B7AB2E6884.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • A64EA40A-A897-4477-92CC-A01AF9CD1469.jpeg
    A64EA40A-A897-4477-92CC-A01AF9CD1469.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, for her safety they need separate yards. She may be mature enough to lay eggs, but it would be to her benefit to allow her to grow for a couple more years before you put them together. As a shell dressing you can use cold pressed coconut oil. Rub it on, allow to sit a while, then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 42 year old 185-200lb male sulcata. His shell is very dry and flaky. Is Olive Oul a decent moisturizer?
How do you know the age? It was not common to see this species before around 1990. They were very few and far between prior to that.

Add humidity to the night shelter using tubs or buckets of water in there for evaporation, but be sure that it is staying 80+ degrees.

Don't use heat lamps or CHEs on large tortoises like this. What are you using to heat his shelter?

Tortoises should never live in pairs.

Tyrus

Yuciapa, Ca
How do you know the age? It was not common to see this species before around 1990. They were very few and far between prior to that.

Add humidity to the night shelter using tubs or buckets of water in there for evaporation, but be sure that it is staying 80+ degrees.

Don't use heat lamps or CHEs on large tortoises like this. What are you using to heat his shelter?

Tortoises should never live in pairs.

Tyrus

Yuciapa, Ca
Tom,
I was told by the previous owner the age of the tortoise. He is huge 200+ pounds. Has a few obvious anomalies with his shell.
I have had him only about two weeks. I hope he is younger than the 42+ years they say he is.
We brought him inside our house for the cold freezing weather here. When outside I have a large dog house warmed to 75-80• with a large Installed above head & side heating pads. We live in a very cold area.
Yes, I had to remove the 45-50lb female.
Thank you for your advice!

Tyrus

Yuciapa, Ca
Yeah, for her safety they need separate yards. She may be mature enough to lay eggs, but it would be to her benefit to allow her to grow for a couple more years before you put them together. As a shell dressing you can use cold pressed coconut oil. Rub it on, allow to sit a while, then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.
Yvonne,
Thank you for the advice. They are separate as he hunts her down and crowds her in the turtle house enclosure. I just gave him a minimal little oil rub.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom,
I was told by the previous owner the age of the tortoise. He is huge 200+ pounds. Has a few obvious anomalies with his shell.
I have had him only about two weeks. I hope he is younger than the 42+ years they say he is.
We brought him inside our house for the cold freezing weather here. When outside I have a large dog house warmed to 75-80• with a large Installed above head & side heating pads. We live in a very cold area.
Yes, I had to remove the 45-50lb female.
Thank you for your advice!
I'm in SCV about 80 miles from you. Similar climate and weather. My Dad lived in Hemet.

Here are two night box designs with safe effective heating strategies, so he can live outside full time: