Huge Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I went and visited another Tort person last week.. and she showed me around her property.. Just about every nook had a pen with some sort of tort or boxie.. in her heated shed.. under a dog house top was a HUGE redfoot! She said it was like an inch shorter then the biggest on record.. I dont recall the numbers... sorry!! I wish I had my camera..
Sitting on her patio was like watching jurasic park.. they would lumber by,,,, it was hard to leave!

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
What would you guess the size was = or - . I heard of a redfoot in Guyana that was supposed to be in the 80 lb range. I offered to buy it or even its shell, as I understand that it was eaten. I never did get to see any pictures of the animal though. Sadly Douglas

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I found this on google. Was it bigger then this one?

DSC03334op.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Interesting collection there...
It was in Sacramento.. I will see if I can get pics or size info... emailing now...she recently had babies for sale... but I think they all sold.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Is it as big as that shell in the picture? By the way thats not me I just found that picture on the web.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
From the shell shape that one looks more likely to be an amazon basin yellow foot? Not 100% but pretty sure. Douglas Beard

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Looks more Yellow Foot to me as well. Doug are you from Miami?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I was thinking that's a yellow foot too!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No, not as big as that pic. different shape, more redfoot type. Not as tall, more elongated..size?... 20 inches?? maybe more.. she told me her age too, but I forgot! It was a few weeks back. Ihave not heard from her yet with info.. She has leopards, boxies, deserts, one large sulcata.. and a few others...

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have some Bolivian Redfoots that are in the 16" to 18 " range and they are still growing! Though not fast, just a little every year. Here are a couple of picts of a few of them. Enclosed are a couple of picts when they first came in 4 years ago. As you can see they are similar to cherryheads as the males do not exhibit the "waist" or hourglass shape that the Northerns do they also have a mostly black belly, but it is not marbled as in the cherryheads. Their heads are an apricot color not red not yellow. Quite different. They also lay huge eggs! Best wishes to everyone Douglas Beard

Attachments

• Bolivian Redfoots Top.JPG
    Bolivian Redfoots Top.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Bolivian Redfoots Bottom.JPG
    Bolivian Redfoots Bottom.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 101

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
_Her reply:___Anyway, my Totie is 27.25 lbs and is 16 1/4" long. The (known) record is 17 3/4" and was a dead male they found in South America. I was thinking she was closer to the record, but she's definitely the biggest one I've ever seen in captivity. +

Ok, smaller then I thought.. but looked huge! still is!
I invited her to join the list!

Status
Not open for further replies.