Howdy folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaronVonKoser

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bradenton, FL
My name is John... I own a sulcata tortoise named Hugo.

He's about 4 months old now I think, and seems to be very healthy according to his vet, Dr. Ivan.

One problem though, he is a VERY picky eater, and won't eat any of the timothy hay I put inside of his indoor tank. He loves grazing on grass/weeds outside of my house, but it's just been so cold lately outside and he's been chilling out indoors for the time being.

If I soak the hay in water mixed with pumpkin puree though, then he gladly eats it up. Any tips on how I could get him to just straight up eat hay with nothing added to it?

Also, here he is!

IMG_9375.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. We just had a thread about this sort of thing. Switch your light bulb to a Mercury Vapor Bulb and see if that doesn't change his mind. Torts see a wider spectrum of light than we do. I have a three year old that does something similar to what you describe. She'll just sit there next to her plate of food and not touch it. As soon as I move her and the same plate of food out in to the natural sunlight, she runs right over and eats it all. All my other ones are not like that. They just eat anytime anywhere.

BTW, check this out for tips on housing and feeding and all things baby sulcata related:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is that one of the old TFH fish for your avatar? I still remember Dr. Axelrod offering those for subscriptions.

BaronVonKoser

5 Year Member
Bradenton, FL
It's just an old piranha knick-knack I got as a gift years ago. It's quite hideous, but I love it

PIRANHA-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

Welcome to the forum!! That's a pretty scary face in your avatar!

We usually don't have much luck getting the younger tortoises to eat hay...not until they get to be 5 or 6 years old. Its perfectly ok to feed Hugo dark, leafy greens from the market. Escarole, endive, turnip greens, mustard greens, Spring Mix...even the occasional vegetable like any of the squashes. I know that most sites tell you to feed them hay and grass and weeds, but they aren't going to die or get sick from the above-mentioned diet.

LindaF

5 Year Member
Welcome. Hugo is a cutie! Loved his little face. That was a nice picture.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
:D Welcome to TFO :D

I grow different grasses for my crew. I just plant a new batch every few days and rotate what I am growing. I got the plastic plant saucers from homedepot for .69 and use those. So far it's working great! I add different things like what Yvonne said above, rose petals, rose leaves, pansies, mulberry, recently aloe chunks, opuntia pad and fruit, etc.

Enjoy your baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.