How to tell if my tortoise is sick

Alisonhart18

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, CA
Hello,

I am a fairly new tortoise parent and want to make sure my redfooted tortoise gets the best care and treatment possible. She is about 2 and a half years old and for the most part, eats lettuce and frozen fruit. (90% lettuce, 10% fruit). The other day, I gave her boiled chicken for the first time. The next day she has become very recluse and is sleeping a lot. The weather has cooled down a bit, but her enclosure remains the same temp. She does come out frequently so maybe she felt the temperature changing? I know the chicken was fine because I had eaten the same chicken that night as well (obviously hers was not seasoned and boiled plain).

She just isn't acting like her playful self and the only thing I can think of that is different is how she was fed boiled chicken for the first time. Should I be worried about her?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello,

I am a fairly new tortoise parent and want to make sure my redfooted tortoise gets the best care and treatment possible. She is about 2 and a half years old and for the most part, eats lettuce and frozen fruit. (90% lettuce, 10% fruit). The other day, I gave her boiled chicken for the first time. The next day she has become very recluse and is sleeping a lot. The weather has cooled down a bit, but her enclosure remains the same temp. She does come out frequently so maybe she felt the temperature changing? I know the chicken was fine because I had eaten the same chicken that night as well (obviously hers was not seasoned and boiled plain).

She just isn't acting like her playful self and the only thing I can think of that is different is how she was fed boiled chicken for the first time. Should I be worried about her?
Welcome to the forum.
That diet sounds pretty.....underwhelming.
Why frozen fruit? Why lettuce? You need food fit for a Redfoot.
Fresh fruit can be over 60% of the diet. Then there are dark green leafy foods. Boiled egg. Mushrooms. Cut up vegetables. Edible flowers and leaves. Dog or cat food. Mazuri tortoise chow. Cactus. Really, just about any fresh non processed food that you or your family eats, they can probably eat. Redfoot can eat a giant variety of things. Take advantage of that and use fresh food.
Can you describe or photograph your enclosure. Your substrate. Your lighting and UVB source and what you're using for heat.
Also. What is the temperature and humidity?
How long have you had him?
My guess is it's not boiled chicken that made him sick. Let's figure it out

Alisonhart18

Long Beach, CA
Welcome to the forum.
That diet sounds pretty.....underwhelming.
Why frozen fruit? Why lettuce? You need food fit for a Redfoot.
Fresh fruit can be over 60% of the diet. Then there are dark green leafy foods. Boiled egg. Mushrooms. Cut up vegetables. Edible flowers and leaves. Dog or cat food. Mazuri tortoise chow. Cactus. Really, just about any fresh non processed food that you or your family eats, they can probably eat. Redfoot can eat a giant variety of things. Take advantage of that and use fresh food.
Can you describe or photograph your enclosure. Your substrate. Your lighting and UVB source and what you're using for heat.
Also. What is the temperature and humidity?
How long have you had him?
My guess is it's not boiled chicken that made him sick. Let's figure it out
Sure! so a few questions, I heard that fruit is meant to be more of a sweet treat for them, is that not the case? Also, I read that their digestive system pulls so many nutrients from their food, they are better with a bland diet. But if this isn't true I will definitely update her diet immediately!

She probably only spends about half her waking hours in her actual enclosure as she's grown a bit too big for it. For the most part she wonders around our sailboat (we live in our sail boat but she stays inside as we are afraid of birds). But her actual enclosure has a UV light and a heat lamp. Sometimes I am afraid it is not humid enough for her, but it's hard to tell as we haven't fit a humidity tester in there.

Up to now, she's been very social and excitable and always gets the zoomies when we let her wonder about the boat., and she's been with us for 2 years now. It was this past weekend she started acting this way.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sure! so a few questions, I heard that fruit is meant to be more of a sweet treat for them, is that not the case? Also, I read that their digestive system pulls so many nutrients from their food, they are better with a bland diet. But if this isn't true I will definitely update her diet immediately!

She probably only spends about half her waking hours in her actual enclosure as she's grown a bit too big for it. For the most part she wonders around our sailboat (we live in our sail boat but she stays inside as we are afraid of birds). But her actual enclosure has a UV light and a heat lamp. Sometimes I am afraid it is not humid enough for her, but it's hard to tell as we haven't fit a humidity tester in there.

Up to now, she's been very social and excitable and always gets the zoomies when we let her wonder about the boat., and she's been with us for 2 years now. It was this past weekend she started acting this way.
Too much information about Redfoot and many other species is just outdated and wrong.
Most vets also have no idea....
Yes. Redfoot can eat just about anything fresh. Unprocessed and of course unseasoned. Etc
The are forest floor vacuum cleaners.
You're lucky to have a tortoise with such a vast and easy to find diet