How to separate land and water

swatsx

5 Year Member
So I'm thinking about making my 220 acrylic tank into more of a rainforest setup having about 2/3 land 1/3 water maybe a couple islands or something any way I don't know how to separate the water and land. Do I just use plexy glass cut it to how ever tall and silicone it in place? I pretty much want one big land mass with a river running thru it and a large pond area if you have this please post pics

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Glass would be better. But yes cut and silicon in place. Plexi to will work but depending on the size water area your looking to make it will need some durability and thickness to hold water properly. When you get into 3/8-1/2" plexi it gets rather expensive. 3/8" glass is about $1 a square foot. Try some places that do mirrors, car windows, or just a google search for glass shops. Should cost you very little and they can hone the edges so it's not a slice hazard too.

swatsx

5 Year Member
The thickness of the glass/ plexy is dependent on the height of the water I only plan at most having 6 inches so I'm hoping to not have to have it so high my only problem is idk how to secure the plexy or glass to the acrylic because silicone doesn't really stick to the acrylic, I'm also thinking maybe making my "walls" out of rocks and silicone or even cement I just need to make sure it sticks to the acrylic and is water proof