how to make my torts life a little more interesting

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
hi all, Ii was wondering, what else could I add in my tort's enclosure to makehis life a little more fun. I have some fake plants, a cave, some small stones, and rock he can climb on. anything else I can add? ideas would be great

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get another set of items and switch them out once in a while. My leopard always like exploring when I would change up his enclosure.

You can also do it with what you have by just changing their placement.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Put treats/food in random spots! Keep 'em guessing. Make adventure a food treat!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Grow some real plants in trays and when the seedlings are the right size put a tray into his enclosure and switch out as needed. Some stores sell living lettuce, which still has it's roots. My tortoises love to eat from those round heads, so they don't last long. Switch up how you serve the food. Most folks cut the food up, but try leaving it as whole leaves. Toss the food into different locations, so he has to hunt for it. With my hingebacks and redfoot/cherryheads I love to toss around the mushrooms. :D Try hanging some greens from a clip on the side of the enclosure so he has to reach up to get it.

Make the substrate so it has hills and uneven mounds. Use a variety of substrates in different areas. Some folks give their tortoises things like red balls they can push around, but not eat.

FeZZek

5 Year Member
Ormond Beach, Florida
Your missing out on some more fun guys. If you have never seen a group of redfoots racing each other around an enclosure after mealworms and crickets you are missing out!
Fyi... removal of one hind cricket leg is required so it slows them down... sorry ;)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I know some people use fake plants, buy my Sulcata Cooper will try and eat them, he use to also eats small stones, but he hasnt done that for the past year. Just some food for thought. Good luck!