How to increase humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
I have my two baby sulcatas in a 55gallon tank with a screen lid covered in tinfoil, with holes cut for the heat lamps, to help hold in heat. But it doesn't do much to hold in humidity. I have coco coir as substrate. I have to re wet the sort numerous times a day to keep any of the top layer damp. The bottom seems to stay fairly wet as I can always see condensation on the bottom, but the top drys out very quick and I have not seen either of mine try to burrow. Im thinking of getting a fogger meant for reptiles. Have also been thinking of just trying to make a new solid lid. Here is a pic of there set up. The front right corner is a buried log, the hide behind that is half a flower pot, it's also got moss inside and this is the only hide they use. The front left is their water bowl, and te back is supposed to be their damp hide with soil and moss. But have never seen them use it. Thanks for any help

E37CF9B6-E9B4-4F65-87A4-5DBC77B0D83F-1525-000001568F2CAAF2.jpg

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
You can always attach wet sponges to the lid and the top sides.

The fogger will also be a great idea if you can get one.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
Usually around 30%, but when I wet it about 70%. It doesn't stay that high for long, and even then I'd like it to be more around 80-85%. I think I may try a fogger or a monsoon rain maker.

Forgot to ask, what are some good plants I can put in there. I have a tortoise seed mix growing in that that has grasses and clovers.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would go with the fogger, with the monsoon your going to have more of a sopping wet tank, those work better for chameleons and crested imo. I use a fogger and my tort loves it and my humidity stays in the 80s constantly.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
mainey34 said:
So what is your reading of your humidity? Some plants will help.
I just dont understand how you are losing humidity. There is no way you should be. Mine is the same size tank. Try plexiglass.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
I don't think it has the original lid. It's not the sliding screen lid, it's a screen lid that fits on top and over the sides, but in the front there is a gap about 1-2" tall and all the way across.

Jessica29

5 Year Member
Lol it was the only way to give the plants uv and not have the tortoises destroy it all before it had a chance to grow. They seemed to eat all the clover and not really pay much attention to the grass though.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I'm going to piggy-back off this post. Hope you don't mind Jessica.

I am still having the same issue. I have already changed from reptibark to cypress mulch. I now have coco coir on the bottom with a thin layer of cypress mulch ontop. I am spraying constantly. I have a lid halfway ontop but its doing nothing. Humidity is 30-40%. Can someone please suggest a fogger brand or send me some links? I've checked with PetsMart & Home Depot & couldnt find anything other than a regular humidifier or big mister & the employees @ my locations are idiots. Never helpful. Thanks.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I think you should cover all... Just left the hole for the lamp cover. I believe that's what the others do when they want to reach like 80-90% humidity.

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
You can get a reptifogger online much cheaper. Or you can attach tubing to this elephant humidifier but I don't remember the brand. You can look it up just type elephant humidifier in a search engine.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Cover as much of your top as possible. Mine is pretty much completely covered. I use cypress mulch, every we days I dump half a pitcher of water into the substrate to keep it moist and keep the humidity up. Maybe add some sphagnum moss also. I do use the reptifogger, I usually turn it on every 2 hours for 15 minutes. Its $60 @ PetSmart, they do have $10 off coupons for them in the Specialty Coupon Ad, just as for one and they should give you the coupon pamphlet. They go for 30-40 online also, so if you can find a good deal on shipping that would be the cheaper route to go.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
There's a couple of ways to raise humidity. For those who have tanks, along with the foil covering, put a towel over the foil being careful not to cover the heat and light source. Another way is to keep the room that the tort is in warm (75+). Air conditioning is responsible for the majority of reasons for loss of humidity in glass tank enclosures. Fogger are great, and in my opinion, the best for keeping humidity up.

Status
Not open for further replies.